Since my mini Pop-Tart cereal was such a hit, I started brainstorming a few other foods I could come up with that would be just as cute, just as miniature, and just as delicious. With that, I bring you what I like to call Shrunkin' Donuts. Get it?! Made from Cheerios (yup, the very cereal you grew up eating all throughout childhood), these miniature Cheerio doughnuts go great in a bowl of milk (duh), but you can also eat them on their own as a really adorable snack or use them as toppings on larger doughnuts. Topped with frosting, cinnamon sugar, and powdered sugar, these little doughnuts completely resemble the real deal treat. Bonus points if you deep-fry your Cheerios!
Sure, these Cheerio doughnuts end up looking somewhat like a treat for Barbie, and you will likely eat at least 40 of them (how could you not?), but they taste great, and they are really freakin' cute. Want to get even more creative? Use this recipe for my mini doughnut cake to create slightly larger doughnuts, and then use the Cheerio version to decorate them. Doughnuts on doughnuts on doughnuts ... how could you go wrong?
- 1.5 cups Cheerios
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Food coloring
- 2.5 tsp. water
- 2 plastic bags, sandwich size
- Measuring cup
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
1. In one plastic sandwich bag, combine 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 1/2 cup Cheerios. Shake until all Cheerios are covered in sugar. Use a toothpick to poke a hole through the center of a Cheerio if it gets filled with sugar.
2. In a measuring cup, pour 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Cover the top of the sugar with cinnamon, until the entire top is coated. Stir together. Pour into a plastic sandwich bag, along with 1/2 cup Cheerios. Add in 2.5 teaspoons of water. Shake until all Cheerios are covered.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine one cup powdered sugar, one drop food coloring, and three tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix until combined. Dip one half of your Cheerios into the icing. Remove, and top immediately with sprinkles. Set aside on parchment paper, sprinkle side up, until frosting hardens. (This will make quite a bit of icing, but you can use the extra to either decorate larger doughnuts, or make tons and tons of mini Cheerio ones!)
Looking for some more fun food ideas? Visit Bustle on YouTube!
Images: Public Lives, Secret Recipes (6)