Cookie Dough Cinnamon Rolls Are The Most Glorious Things You'll Ever Eat For Breakfast — RECIPE
Still drooling over this cinnamon bun layered cake? Well, good news — I have got more cinnamon buns for you, only this time they are filled with cookie dough. Yup, cookie dough cinnamon rolls officially exist, and it is probably in your best interest to whip up a batch of these immediately. I mean, everything tastes better with cookie dough, right? And because I am a firm believer that breakfast should always feel like dessert, this is pretty much the food hybrid of my dreams.
These heavenly cupcake-sized cinnamon rolls are everything you have ever wanted in a dessert. The warm cookie dough cooks perfectly into the soft, doughy cinnamon roll, and then everything is drizzled with glaze to perfection. The hardest part of this recipe is waiting by the oven for these babies to bake. Seriously, the smell alone will drive you nuts! Get ‘em while they are hot, or save them for breakfast on the go — that is, if there are any leftover. The prep work is surprisingly simple, and the end product is basically a cinnamon work of art, so you might as well go ahead and just make two batches, while you are at it. Trust me — nobody will be mad.
For cinnamon roll dough:
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup light almond milk (buttermilk will work too!)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Your favorite cookie dough recipe
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon, to taste
- Cupcake holder
- Rolling pin
- Cutting board
- Baking spray
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a cupcake tray. Over low heat, combine butter and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir until the butter is liquid, and then pour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
2. Let the mixture cool for five minutes, or until it's the temperature of warm bath water. Add in yeast, and let it activate for 10 minutes.
3. Add in 1 tbsp. of granulated sugar and salt. Stir. Add in flour one cup at a time while stirring.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and knead for one minute. Place the ball of dough into a sprayed mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a warm area to rise until it's doubled in size.
5. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the dough until it's about 1/2 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick.
6. Combine brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon into a mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Pour the mixture over your dough.
7. Flatten out your cookie dough until it's roughly the same thickness as your cinnamon roll dough, and line the roll dough with cookie dough. Roll everything into a circular cinnamon roll shape, and slice it into pieces that are one inch thick.
8. Place the individual rolls into a cupcake tray, and bake for 14 minutes. Remove, and drizzle with glaze. Enjoy!