Previously, I’ve shared recipes on how to create homemade pop-tarts, mini pop-tarts, and mini pop-tart cereal. Now, I am coming to you with my latest creation: breakfast pop-tarts. I know what you are thinking, “Aren’t all pop-tarts considered breakfast?” Well, in my opinion they should be considered dessert, but that’s not the argument I’m making today. Don't get me wrong — the frosted, fruit-filled confections of your childhood are delicious (and even better when you make them yourself), but the savory pop-tarts I'm about to show you are on a level all their own.
Today, I’m here to teach you how to combine all your favorite breakfast foods into one pop-tart recipe. Think bacon, eggs, and cheese, or everything bagels with cream cheese. Both will today become a pop-tart recipe! Confused? See the recipe below, and then give it a shot yourself. Instead of strawberry jam, fill your mini pop-tarts with eggs or cream cheese. Then, it is time to get creative. Top your tiny breakfast pastries with lox, capers, seeds, quail eggs (they are super teeny and cute!), mini bagels, bacon, and so much more! This is everything you've ever wanted for breakfast, packed into one delectable, adorable bite. Mornings just got way more exciting.
For the pop-tarts:
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- Cream cheese
For the toppings:
- Cream cheese and everything bagel seeds
- Cream cheese and mini bagels made from leftover dough!
- Cheddar cheese, quail egg, and bacon
- Cream cheese, lox, and capers
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Large baking sheet
- Small bowl
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Measuring cup
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, butter, and salt.
3. Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add in one egg yolk. Knead with your hands until smooth.
4. Let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour and a half. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
5. Mix in an extra egg yolk to dough. Add one tablespoon of water as needed to help the dough stick together. Place the dough on a large cutting board, and roll out until it's about 1.5 centimeters in height.
6. Cut dough into an even number of rectangles.
7. Place half of the rectangles on parchment paper, and place one teaspoon of filling directly in the center of the dough.
8. In a separate small bowl, combine egg yolk and water.
9. Brush the edges of the filled dough with the egg and water mixture.
10. Place evenly sized dough on top of the filled dough, and press down on sides to close.
11. Press the edges of the dough with a fork to secure the rectangles together.
12. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
13. If topping with cheese, immediately cover and add on toppings. If topping with cream cheese, let the pop-tarts cool and cream cheese soften. Top to your desire, serve, and enjoy!
While you're at it, learn how to make these super sweet (and super adorable) mini pop-tarts, too! For more food ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Recipe & Images: Public Lives, Secret Recipes