Whoever said you can't have cake for breakfast obviously has never tried this cake batter French toast recipe. We are huge fans of cake batter here. Not just the leftover stuff that you are maybe allowed to lick off the spoon (although obviously we love that too). I'm talking cake batter pancakes, cupcakes, popcorn, and even our famous #KRISPOPS! So it’s no surprise we combined it with another one of our favorite treats, French toast. This recipe is the perfect treat for a birthday breakfast, or to just treat yo’ self.
Sure, waking up 20 minutes earlier in the morning before work isn't ideal. Trust me — we get it. Every. Second. Counts. But when you are waking up for this breakfast of champions, it sure is worth it. Made exactly how you would make regular French toast except with a little cake mix added into the batter and frosting on top, this recipe is super simple, and a fabulous way to celebrate any occasion. So get your glasses of milk ready, stack up a few pieces of cake batter French toast, throw a candle on top, and voila! You have got yourself a unique and incredible birthday cake... for breakfast.
- 6 slices challah
- 1 1/4 cup dry funfetti cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 can white frosting, melted
- 1 tbsp. butter, for the skillet
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, almond milk, and cake mix. Stir until smooth.
- Dunk bread in mixture, and flip until the entire piece is covered.
- Place butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in one slice of bread at a time, and flip after roughly three minutes, or once the bottom side has cooked thoroughly and is slightly golden.
- Heat frosting for 30 seconds in a microwave, and pour over the stack of toast. Top with sprinkles, serve, and enjoy!
For more food ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images: Public Lives, Secret Recipes