Sweet Potato Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting Are The Ultimate Thanksgiving Dessert
Ironically, the day before I made this sweet potato cupcake recipe, I told my friends, “I’m just not a fan of fall-flavored desserts.” It’s true, I prefer blueberry pie over pecan, cookie dough cinnamon rolls over your typical version, and a green tea latte over anything pumpkin. I do, however, love fall flavors in savory foods: fig grilled cheese, squash and goat cheese salad, you get the point. Yet, it’s been on my to-do list to try sweet potato cupcakes, as it combines one of my favorite savory foods with something sweet. I figured the combination might be something I could work with for a fall dessert. I was blown away by how much I loved these cupcakes. The savory cupcake matched with a cream cheese frosting is beyond delicious.
Since this is a fall-flavored cupcake you’ll want to top it accordingly. Swapping out sprinkles for crumbled pecans is a clever way to decorate your cupcakes while matching flavors. Additionally, a caramel drizzle adds an extra sweet touch to every bite. You may be wondering why I chose to top these cupcakes with raspberries. Truthfully, I personally just love a fresh flavor on my dishes, and thought a raspberry would be a nice succulent surprise!
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, pureed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, ground
- Heaping 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Caramel sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all cupcake ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Fill liners three-quarters of the way full with cupcake mixture.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, or with a spatula until smooth.
- Place the frosting in a bag with desired tip, and swirl over cupcakes. Top with a raspberry, pecan, and caramel sauce. Enjoy!
For more cool food ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images & Recipe: Public Lives, Secret Recipes