Everything Bagel Bites Will Make You Want To Get Out Of Bed In The Morning — RECIPE
Looking for a new twist on your regular bagel and cream cheese? These everything bagel bites are, well, everything. Not only are they super easy to make, they are beyond delicious, and make you look super profesh in the kitchen. Aside from letting the dough rise for about an hour and a half, this recipe isn’t very time-consuming either. Once your dough has risen, roll it out flat, cut into squares, and fill with cream cheese. Wrap those babies up into a ball, sprinkle with equal parts onion flakes, garlic powder, sesame seeds (black and white), and poppy-seeds, pop ’em in the oven, and you are done!
I used one of my all-time favorite bread recipes for the dough base. Although this recipe is intended for just that, bread, it can double as a bagel recipe when you sprinkle a bit more sugar (yes, please) on top of it. This sweetens up the dough a bit, but keeps the savory flavors intact as well.
I mean, tell me these don’t look drool worthy! Fancy them up by adding chopped chives into your cream cheese (or cheat, and buy chive cream cheese, I won’t tell!). There are so many possibilities for these bagels: cinnamon sugar, plain, blueberry, whatever it is you like to munch on in the morning. Keep your dough recipe the same, and swap out the toppings and filling to create any of these tasty treats.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. instant dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk, warmed to 100-110 degrees
- Seeds for everything bagels (poppy, sesame, onion, etc.)
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Egg wash (1 egg and 1 tbsp. water)
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients until combined.
3. Add milk and egg into the dry ingredients, and mix everything together.
4. Take the dough out of the bowl, and place it onto a cutting board. Knead the dough for about two minutes. Add butter, and continue kneading the dough for three minutes.
5. Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap.
6. Let the dough rise for about one and a half to two hours until it has doubled in size.
7. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Roll out the dough, and cut it into equal squares that are roughly four-by-four inches.
9. Take the first square, and place a dollop of cream cheese in the center. Fold dough around the cream cheese (if cheese starts oozing out just adjust the amount for the next one), and then roll it into ball. Use a drop of warm water on your finger to close any creases or lines in the circle. Repeat until all have been used.
10. Brush egg wash over the tops of each ball of dough. Sprinkle with seeds. Sprinkle with a touch of granulated sugar to sweeten the dough. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
11. Let cool for roughly five to eight minutes. Serve, and enjoy!
For more food ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images & Recipe: Public Lives, Secret Recipes