The Best Birthday Cake Recipe Includes Three Types Of Funfetti — Obviously
Sure I’ve done tons of funfetti recipes before, and even tons of layered cake recipes, but this funfetti birthday cake is certainly unique. Topped with a cake batter ganache, this is the best birthday cake recipe, probably ever. Speaking of that ganache, if you scour the Internet as I do, you’ll notice the only types of ganache recipes out there are for dark, milk, and white chocolate ganache — maybe raspberry or vanilla if you really search for them. While that’s great and all, it just didn’t seem right on a funfetti cake. On a banana and Nutella layered cake? Duh, but a funfetti cake... not so much. So I present to you: an original cake batter ganache recipe by yours truly.
This decadent layered cake is sure to be an instant classic. I’m talking layers of funfetti cake held together by creamy vanilla frosting and topped with that cake batter ganache we were just talkin’ about. I don’t know about you, but I’m drooling just writing this.
So what are you waiting for? Bake this for a friend’s birthday, or as a fun hump day treat. Made it halfway through the week? You totally deserve dessert, so treat yo’self! Seriously, this cake is a guaranteed hit, and will have everyone thinking you’re a cake master (no one has to know that it’s actually super easy to make).
For the cakes:
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup funfetti cake mix
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Sprinkles — tons of them!
For the frosting:
- 3 sticks salted butter, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the ganache:
- 6 oz. white chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup funfetti cake mix, dry
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Stir to combine.
2. Spray layered cake pans with baking spray. Fill with even amounts of the cake mixture.
3. Preheat the oven to 345 degrees. Bake the cakes for 12 to 16 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
4. Let cakes cool completely.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients. Stir to combine.
6. Place the first layer of cake on a cake stand. Using the offset spatula, layer frosting on top, and then place another cake on top of the frosting. Repeat until all cakes have been used.
7. Use the remaining frosting to cover the sides and top of the cake until it is completely covered and smooth.
8. Place the cake in the fridge for roughly two hours.
9. Place your heavy cream in a small mixing bowl. Microwave the cream for two minutes. Add in the white chocolate immediately, and stir. Slowly, sift in the cake mix. Immediately pour over your cake. Serve, and enjoy!
For more ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images & Recipe: Public Lives, Secret Recipes