This recipe for scone hot dogs is one of my new favorites to make. It’s super simple, tastes delicious, and is a total hit amongst friends. One of the main reasons I love it so much is because I’m all about foods that satisfy both that sweet and savory craving: creme brûlée French toast, mac and cheese pancakes, sweet potato cupcakes, etc. Between the sweet, buttery scone blanket and savory, delicious hot dog in the center, this recipe does just that.
You may be thinking, “a scone with ketchup and mustard on it…?” which is a totally reasonable thought. Yet, think of a classic pigs in the blanket recipe. You wouldn’t hesitate to put those condiments on a crescent roll, would ya? Didn’t think so. Now just imaginee an even better tasting crumbly yet buttery crescent roll. Sounds pretty good around a hot dog right? Glad you’re on board!
All together the recipe only takes about 30 minutes. I’m talking from getting the ingredients out of the fridge to taking your first bite of this delicious treat. If you haven’t attempted to make scones before, don’t fret! They’re surprisingly very easy, and don’t require much work at all. To be honest, I was pretty afraid to attempt my scone recipe because if not done right, scones can taste bland and dry — yuck! Yet this simple recipe keeps the inside moist and buttery, while the exterior is crumbly and crisp. It's a melt in your mouth kind of treat.
Make sure to save this recipe as you can use it in a variety of ways. If you opt against the hot dogs inside (you’re missing out buddy), feel free to make the scones on their own for a sweet breakfast treat. Additionally, you can always throw some fresh fruit (berries are my favorite) into the batter, as well as chocolate chips or nuts for a little added flavor.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 8 tbsp. salted butter, cold
- 5 hot dogs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and milk. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 tbsp. slices of butter to the mixture. Mix until crumbly.
- Using your hands, work the dough together until it forms a ball.
- Roll the dough out, and cut it into even triangles that measure roughly four inches on each side.
- Place half the triangles on a baking sheet four inches apart. Place a hot dog on top of the triangle. Place the second triangle on top of the hot dog, and press the dough to combine at the sides gently.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Serve and enjoy!
For more ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images & Recipe: Public Lives, Secret Recipes