The Nominees for 2014 CFDA Fashion Awards Are Here
Fashion Month may be behind us, but CFDA award season has arrived to feed our hunger for high-fashion. The nominees for the 2014 CFDA Awards were announced Tuesday evening, and the list is a veritable who's who of fashion's New Guard.
CFDA President Diane von Furstenburg and CEO Stephen Kolb revealed the names for this year's awards at the Bowery Hotel. There are some repeat contenders, such as last year's womenswear winners, Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler. The pair is up for Accessories Designer of the Year this time around.
Notable's from the honorary award categories include Tom Ford, who will receive the Geoffrey Beane Lifetime Achievement Award (because, really, who else?) and Ruth Finley, the woman responsible for creating the Fashion Week calendar, who will be awarded the Board of Director's Tribute Award.
Here is the full round up of the deserving nominees:
- Womenswear Designer of the Year: Alexander Wang, Marc Jacobs, Joseph Altuzzara of Altuzzara
- Menswear Designer of the Year: Maxwell Osbourne and Dao-Yi Chow of Public School, Marcus Wainwright and David Neville of Rag & Bone, Thom Browne
- Accessories Designer of the Year: Alexander Wang, Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen of The Row
- Swarovski Award for Womenswear: Shane Gaiber and Christopher Peters of Creatures of the Wind, Rosie Assoulin, Wes Gordon
- Swarovski Award for Menswear: Tim Coppins, Todd Snyder, Shayne Oliver for Hood by Air
- Swarovski Award for Accessories Designer of the Year: Irene Neuwirth, Jennifer Fischer, Marc Alary
- Geoffrey Beane Lifetime Achievement Award: Tom Ford
- Media Award: Paul Cavaco
- Founders Award: Bethann Hardison
- Board of Director's Tribute Award: Ruth Finley
- International Award: Raf Simmons
According to the CFDA website, the annual event "recognizes the outstanding contributions made to American fashion by individuals from all areas of the industry and related arts, with awards being given for design excellence in womenswear, menswear, and accessories as well as extraordinary accomplishments in journalism, creative vision, and lifetime achievement."
The awards will be given out on Monday, June 2 in a ceremony held at Alice Tully Hall in Lincoln Center, sponsored by Swarovski. Multitalented actor/comedian John Waters, who has presented at the event in the past, will host. Waters released a statement about the honor, saying, "I'm so excited to be invited back and I look forward to taking the stage to celebrate the thin line that divides fashion between glamour and creative insanity."
We would be, too.