Cellphone Etiquette Around the World: A Guide for the Tech-Savvy Traveler
It’s a given that etiquette rules will vary depending on where in the world you are; naturally, the same goes for cellphone etiquette, too. But how’s a novice world traveler to know what’s polite or impolite from location to location? To help you out, phone repair company RepairLabs (via LifeHacker) has put together a handy-dandy infographic featuring a few important cellphone etiquette rules from each of 11 different countries. True, 11 is a small number when you consider exactly how many nations there are (196, to be exact); but the infographic offers a pretty broad spread across the continents, so hey, it’s a place to start.
A few highlights:
- Brush up on your small talk. In Egypt, it’s the norm to chat about pleasantries for about five minutes before getting to the meat of the call.
- Don’t screen your calls. It’s considered especially rude in Brazil — although it’s worth noting that if you pick up during a meeting or a movie or something, it’s also polite to step out of the room to take the call.
- Read the signs. In Japan, it’s frowned upon to talk on the phone in public places. Signs posted will often tell you not to do it, so pay attention.
- Avoid eating while you’re on the phone. They really hate that in the UK.
- Don’t talk or text and drive. Car, bus, bike, whatever, and wherever — if you’re piloting a vehicle of any sort, leave your phone in your pocket. Safety first!
Of course, beyond just etiquette, there are a lot of technical things to bear in mind when it comes to international cell phone usage; if you want to avoid running up your bill, though, Travel and Leisure has a whole bunch of solid tips for traveling with cellphones. A word of advice: If you can get away with using anything other than a roaming U.S. phone, do. Trust me. Your wallet will thank you.
<img width="636" alt="This Infographic Lists Cellphone Etiquette for 11 Countries" src="http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--w2oLQBjn--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/anlzrefgi8iiz2p8dbxr.jpg" height="3457" class="article-body-image" title="Image: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--w2oLQBjn--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/anlzrefgi8iiz2p8dbxr.jpg"/>