Alas, Valentine's Day is upon us. And thanks to the 2015 calendar year, we have all week to look forward to it. But until Saturday, February 14th arrives, there are lots of V-Day kinks to sort out. Attendance at parties are to be determined, reservations at restaurants are to be scheduled, and gifts are to be bought and wrapped — all before Cupid's arrow takes way. That being said, arguably the most important element of Valentine's Day is deciding what to wear.
Because V-Day inevitably insinuates love, adoration, and desire, it's important to consider what apparel to get dressed in for the day's events. Whether it's a glamorous, sequined mini dress, a bohemian skirt and crop top combination, or even an all-black cape, what you're wearing on V-Day probably says a lot about your opinion of the Hallmark holiday. Granted, if you're wearing a black cape, you're probably not into V-Day and would rather be avoiding people in general — especially on February 14th. Nevertheless, Valentine's Day is always an excuse to get dressed up and — just by the fact that you clicked on this link — the chances that you're looking forward to it are pretty high. You could be going to the club, grabbing dinner with your significant other, or even throwing bloody plastic hearts at strangers on a sidewalk (though, in all honesty, I don't like V-Day, and even I know that would be a little extreme). No matter what your plans are, you'll be getting ready for the day just like the rest of us. So instead of rushing to do so, why not set aside a few hours to leisurely perfect whatever look you're going for? Put on your own personal runway show via your wardrobe until you find something you're completely comfortable with! And consider a Valentine's Day getting ready playlist to help you through the process!
I've compiled a list of songs that will go along perfectly with whatever style you're going for on Valentine's Day, themed around your favorite artists. Got a preppy outfit planned? Throw on some Taylor Swift. Going for a girly look? Katy Perry is sure to get you pumped for the night. Absolutely hate V-Day? Don't worry; there are tunes here for you, too. With a solid mix of oldies and recent releases, look no further for an amazing start to your Valentine's Day celebrations.
If you define your style as glamorous, there's a good chance the Valentine's Day outfit you've been planning for weeks involves sparkles and sequins. You love statement pieces and you're determined to have your V-Day date's eyes focused on you the whole night. Like Beyoncé, you love putting on a show and dressing for the lead role. To accompany your fabulous outfit for an unforgettable day of love and adoration, throw on some tunes by Ciara, Keri Hilson and, of course, Beyonce herself.
- "Drunk In Love" by Beyonce
- "Pretty Girl Rock" by Keri Hilson
- "Body Party" by Ciara
- "Motivation" by Kelly Rowland
- "Stuck On A Feeling" by Prince Royce featuring Snoop Dog
- "i" by Kendrick Lamar
- "Damaged" by Danity Kane
- "Yeah!" by Usher
- "The Heart Wants What It Wants" by Selena Gomez
- "Something New" by Axwell^Ingrosso
Colorful And Girly
Your wardrobe is a variety of colors, prints and patterns. So your Valentine's Day outfit most likely contains at least two of those characteristics, because you wouldn't have it any other way. You probably even contemplated a fully V-Day-themed ensemble, but you also want to rock a cute graphic sweatshirt, too. No need to make your decision now, because you can do that while you're jamming to fun, exciting tunes by the likes of fellow girly singers Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea, and Meghan Trainor.
- "This Is How We Do" by Katy Perry
- "L.A.LOVE (la la)" by Fergie
- "Sober" by Childish Gambino
- "Sledgehammer" by Fifth Harmony
- "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea
- "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
- "Trumpets" by Jason Derulo
- "Spark The Fire" by Gwen Stefani
- "Dear Future Husband" by Meghan Trainor
- "Rude" by Magic!
You could care less what outfit you're actually wearing on Valentine's Day, because what's really important is underneath your clothes. From a tie-up corset to a lace garter, your plans for V-Day don't necessarily require clothing. That being said, you're still looking to get hyped for a sexy, sultry evening and need the perfect playlist to get enough courage to strap yourself into your corset. Look no further than Ariana Grande and Rihanna to provide you with the perfect getting ready tunes.
- "Devil In A New Dress" by Kanye West
- "Love Me Harder" by Ariana Grande
- "She Wolf" by Shakira
- "Booty" by Jennifer Lopez featuring Iggy Azalea
- "Good Kisser" by Usher
- "Feeling Myself" by Nicki Minaj featuring Beyonce
- "0 To 100/The Catch Up" by Drake
- "Diamond" by Rihanna
- "SexyBack" by Justin Timberlake
- "Do What U Want" by Lady Gaga
Whether you're going out to a nice dinner or spending the night in watching Netflix, you're most likely going to keep comfort the first priority. Your wardrobe is stocked with soft cotton basics like V-necks and joggers, and your accessories are kept understated and pretty, with dainty necklaces and rings. No matter your plans for V-day, you're guaranteed to get into the mood with a soft, classic mix of songs by Colbie Caillat and Sara Bareilles. Plus, who doesn't enjoy some Ingrid Michaelson?
- "Baby I'm a Fool" by Melody Gardot
- "Who Says" by John Mayer
- "You And I" by Ingrid Michaelson
- "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz
- "Love Song" Sara Bareilles
- "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat
- "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton
- "I Don't Want To Be" by Gavin DeGraw
- "Breathe (2 AM)" by Anna Nalick
- "I Got You" by Jack Johnson
You love a good vintage find, and there's no doubt you'll be wearing some of your favorite thrifted pieces on Valentine's Day. Whether it's a silk kimono or a denim jacket from the 80s, you're true to your style just like you're true to the musical greats. Throw on some Fleetwood Mac, some ELO, and even some modern tunes by bohemian sister trio Haim, to seriously get in the mood for a memorable evening with someone special.
- "Don't Bring Me Down" by Electric Light Orchestra
- "The Mother We Share" by CHVRCHES
- "Everything Is Embarrassing" by Sky Ferreira
- "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac
- "If I Could Change Your Mind" by Haim
- "Closer" by Tegan and Sara
- "What Is Life" by George Harrison
- "Mykonos" by Fleet Foxes
- "Your Song" by Elton John
- "Skinny Love" by Bon Iver
Preppy And Polished
Snuggling with your kitten sounds ideal for Valentine's Day, even though you probably already have plans with your loved one or friends and family. That being said, you're all about getting ready to a fun playlist that will have you dancing around your room in your underwear. Thanks to the queen of polished prep Taylor Swift and fellow friends and singers Miley Cyrus and Carrie Underwood, you're able to get ready in style.
- "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift
- "#GETITRIGHT" by Miley Cyrus
- "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" by Kelly Clarkson
- "Sugar" by Maroon 5
- "Die Young" by Ke$ha
- "Outside" by Calvin Harris featuring Ellie Goulding
- "Brokenhearted" by Karmin
- "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis
- "I Wish" by Cher Lloyd
- "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by One Direction
All Black Everything
If you're purposely sticking to an all-black ensemble on Valentine's Day, the chances are you're not too fond of Cupid's arrow and the Hallmark holiday. That being said, you've still got anti-V-Day plans with your best girlfriends. Sing along to songs of hate and heartbreak, courtesy of Kelly Clarkson, Lana Del Rey, and Lorde. Because why not?
- "Sing" by Ed Sheeran
- "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding
- "How To Be A Heartbreaker" by Marina And The Diamonds
- "Shake It Out" by Florence + The Machine
- "Young And Beautiful" by Lana Del Rey
- "F*ck You" by Lily Allen
- "Someone Like You" by Adele
- "I'm Not The Only One" by Sam Smith
- "Troublemaker" by Olly Murs
- "Heart Attack" by Demi Lovato
Images: Fotolia; Getty, Giphy