Deep Fried Sriracha By Oh Bite It Is Basically Heaven In Spicy, Bite-Sized Pieces — And It's Your New Favorite Recipe
Out of all the wacky, crazy, and tasty things I’ve ever fried (and there have been LOTS), deep fried Sriracha is my favorite and best tasting crazy creation to date. AND it’s not even that crazy — at least, in my world it isn’t. Each ruby red, sweet and spicy Sriracha nugget is so amazingly flavored and perfectly balanced that I'm almost at a loss for words to describe the magnitude of wonderful that IS this recipe.
The Sriracha is mellowed out by the flash frying process, and what's left behind is a beautiful combination of slightly spicy, nutty, sweet, tender, crispy cornbread bites of serious, succulent Sriracha goodness. Dip them into some cool blue cheese or ranch and BOOM — you are an instant hero of your house. Make tons. Trust me.
What you'll need:
- 1-15 oz. box of cornbread mix
- 3/4 cup Sriracha
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying (I use Canola)
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping
- Celery for some cool crunching (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the cornbread mix, oil, egg, and Sriracha. Mix until well combined. It should be a thick batter — adjust accordingly if necessary.
2. Drop approximately 1 tsp. of batter into the hot (350 degree) oil until they are puffed and evenly golden. The correct oil temperature is critical here for a good result with this recipe. They will firm up and crisp up as they cool, but the oil needs to be just about perfect to achieve a done center. (Not that there's anything really wrong with a gooey center, IMO.)
3. Serve them up with some dips for... um... dipping, and get to grabbing, popping, and loving. Enjoy!
Images: Oh, Bite It