Mini Donut Cake Is The Most Adorable Dessert You've Ever Seen — Here's The Surprisingly Simple Recipe
"Hold Me Closer Tiny Donut" is surely what Elton John meant to sing. After all, everything is better in miniature form. Take our Pop-Tarts or sugar cookie recipes, for instance — both mini version, and both delicious and adorable. So now welcome another member to the mini group: donuts. Combine them with another favorite treat, and all of a sudden mini donut cake is the adorable dessert of your dreams. Mini donuts are technically "healthier" for you since they aren't fried, right? Throw a bunch of these cuties on top of a layered cake, and boom, you'll never eat regular sized food again.
The best part about this recipe is that it takes almost no batter to make one mini donut, which means this recipe will leave you with basically a lifetime supply of mini donuts by the end of this post! (Yeah right — if you're anything like me, that "lifetime supply" will last you through one weekend.) But seriously, we're talking about 40 mini donuts here, people. If you use the same mini donut tray I did, you hardly need any batter in the pan. Do you have in mind about how much batter you think you'd use per donut? Cut that in half. Then in half again. I'm not kidding — these babies pretty much quadruple in size.
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4-6 tbsp. lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop food coloring
- large mixing bowl
- baking spray
- mini donut tray
- electric mixer
- small mixing bowl
- butter knife
1. In large mixing bowl, melt butter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all other donut ingredients, and mix until smooth.
3. Spray baking tray, and fill tray 1/4 full with donut mixture.
4. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
5. Let donuts cool. In a small mixing bowl, combine all icing ingredients except for sprinkles.
6. Top donuts with icing by using butter knife, and immediately cover in sprinkles.
7. Top cake with donuts, or eat on their own. Enjoy!
Images: Public Lives, Secret Recipes (4)