You know that saying, "Be a Froot Loop in a bowl of Cheerios"? Well, Froot Loops are great and all, and they surely stand out, but what if you could be a Pop-Tart in a bowl of Cheerios? Talk about being the star of the show, am I right? So if you've been following me on Instagram for some time now (thank you, I love you), then you've surely seen me post about this mini Pop-Tart cereal recipe. If you haven't, your breakfast game is about to be changed forever.
Pop-Tarts are amazing. Homemade Pop-Tarts are even better. Mini Pop-Tarts are just plain fabulous. Mini Pop-Tarts in a bowl of milk as cereal? Let me tell you — these will blow your mind. Weirdly enough, these tiny treasures taste great in a bowl of milk as cereal.
Speaking of cereal, remember when you were younger and all your friends were eating Cookie Crisps for breakfast, but your parents insisted on Raisin Bran? No? I'm the only one? Oh, awkward. Well these little monsters put any breakfast cereal to shame. With dough similar to a sugar cookie, these delicious little treats are as adorable as they are tasty. Basically, they just won breakfast.
For the Pop-Tarts
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- Pinch of salt
For the filling (all are optional, but I've tried the following)
- Peanut butter
- Raspberry jam
- Blueberry jam
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp. water
For the glaze
- 4-6 tbsp. lemon juice or vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop food coloring
For the toppings (again, all are optional)
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Large baking sheet
- Small bowl
- Food processor
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Measuring cup
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, butter, and salt.
2. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add in one egg yolk. Knead with your hands until smooth. Let sit in the refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
4. Mix in extra egg yolk to dough. Add water in increments of 1 tablespoon as needed to help dough stick together. Place dough on a large cutting board, and roll out until about 1.5 cm. in height. Cut dough into an even number of tiny rectangles.
5. Place half of the rectangles on parchment paper, and place 1 tsp. of filling directly in the center of the dough.
6. In a separate small bowl, combine egg yolk and water. Brush the edges of your filled dough with the egg and water mixture.
7. Place an evenly sized piece of dough on top of the filled dough, and press down on sides to close. Press the edges of the dough with a fork to secure the rectangles together.
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool, and begin making your glaze by combining all ingredients at once in a bowl.
9. Combine all glaze ingredients, and sprinkle on top of your Pop-Tarts immediately.
10. Add your Pop-Tarts into a bowl of milk, or eat them on their own. Enjoy!
Learn how to make these mini Pop-Tarts by watching our video below, and check out Bustle on YouTube for more great food ideas.