With April being National Grilled Cheese Month, it seems only fitting that we share this all-star pepperoni pizza grilled cheese sandwich by one of our favorite new food blogs, Public Lives, Secret Recipes. Two of your favorite foods on the entire planet — pizza and grilled cheese, hello — combine into one amazing meal that is worth celebrating every month of the year. Here's the super simple recipe.
While I may spend my days (and nights) baking, cooking doesn't come as easily to me. I have yet to master working with different spices and seasonings, and yet there are two dishes I can without a doubt always make perfectly: grilled cheese and pizza bagels. Granted, a majority of the time I find myself making frozen Bagel Bites, but homemade pizza bagels are something I've loved to make and eat since I was a little girl. So I figured, why not combine the two dishes I’ve managed to figure out how to cook into one delicious creation: The pizza grilled cheese.
You can choose to follow the recipe below, or to be completely honest, you can pretty much throw any ingredients into this sandwich and still call it a pizza grilled cheese so long as you include the bread, tomato sauce, and cheese. So grab whatever you have in the fridge, or get fancy and throw some truffles in the mix. Either way, you're guaranteed a delicious and easy meal!
- 1 tbsp. ricotta cheese, fresh
- 6 slices of pepperoni, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Basil, to taste
- 2 slices focaccia
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- A handful of spinach
- 2 tbsp. tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- Serving plate
1. Cut bread into generous slices. Wash spinach and basil.
2. Place spinach and basil on one side of your bread. On the other half, pour on the tomato sauce.
3. Sprinkle red pepper flakes onto the sauce half. Top it with mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and pepperoni.
4. Pour olive oil into a skillet over medium heat. Fold your sandwich in half, and place it down onto the skillet with a spatula for 2 to 3 minutes, and then flip it over for an additional minute or two. Enjoy!
Images: Public Lives, Secret Recipes (4)