Deep Fried Margaritas By Oh Bite It Are Exactly What Your Cinco de Mayo Party Needs
Well — happy Cinco de Mayo! You know, the great 5th day of May, the day that May turns five days old, the day that comes after Quatro de Mayo? The ONE day of the year that’s filled with festive fun and tipsy treats for anyone who’d simply like to take part in the festivities, regardless of even knowing exactly why we’re celebrating? This year, I’m ditching the traditional tipsy "toast" and going for a deep fried (adults only) version. Oh yeah — we're talking deep fried margaritas. Raise your hand if you’re surprised.. anyone?…anyone?
You know, if a margarita was going into a deep fryer, I’d be the one to do it right?! YES! So here we are! Crispy, margarita-filled fried nuggets of fun kick off day five of May the right way. Each margarita morsel packs that slightly salty, lemony tequila punch, and is totally taken home on a sweet, lime zest, tequila-glazed ride straight into your mouth. Cheers!
What You'll Need:
- Lemon cake — I used store bought! The cake I found had glaze on it, and it made for the best, extra-sugary sweetness after it was fried.
- A prepared margarita, with any liquor ratio you prefer. Keep in mind the more tequila, the better the resulting flavor.
- Coarse salt
- Oil for frying (I used canola)
The tequila lime glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- A few splashes of tequila
- The zest of one lime
1. Simply cube up the cake into one-inch cubes.
2. Quickly dip each cube into the margarita, and then directly into the hot 350 degree oil.
3. Fry them up until they're golden on all sides, and drain on a paper towel.
4. Prepare the tequila lime glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with a few splashes of tequila until thick. Stir in the zest of one lime.
5. Drizzle the glaze all over the deep-fried margaritas. Give them a light sprinkle of salt right over that glaze. Serve them up super cute-like, grab your friends, and start popping that fun right into your mouth! Cheers to Cinco de Mayo!
Images: Oh Bite It