Stay In For Brunch With Your BFFs, Your Pup, And These Awesome Taco Recipes
What is there not to love about brunch? Between the food and the chance to catch up with friends, it's hard to imagine how it'd be possible to improve upon the experience. At least, that's what I thought until Bustle and Castor & Pollux® visited Adrianna Adarme, creator of "A Cozy Kitchen," in her Los Angeles home. Instead of the usual routine of agreeing on a restaurant and meeting a group of friends out, Adrianna prefers to host her girlfriends at her home for brunch — and for great reason.
"The thing I love about making brunch at home is that I can control the ingredients that I feed to my family and friends, and I know that I can get responsibly sourced meats and organic fruits and vegetables," says Adrianna, who also notes that hosting at home ensures that her beloved corgi, Amelia, also gets plenty of attention from her guests.
To learn more about how Adrianna prepares a crowd-pleasing brunch for a group of her friends, Bustle stopped by her Los Angeles home to try her recipe for irresistible family-style tacos. The tacos feature responsibly sourced ingredients and a variety of flavorful toppings, plus I even got the scoop on a recommendation for how your dog can eat just as well with ingredients like grass-fed beef and organic vegetables. Now all you need to do is gather up your supplies, call your friends, and enjoy your time together.
Start By Making The Taco Filling
With enough to go around for eight to 10 guests, Adrianna prepares a homemade carne asada topped with a tomato salad made with organic produce.
For the carne asada:
- ⅓ cup organic lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (try avocado, vegetable, or grapeseed oil)
- 2 lb. grass-fed flank steak
For the tomato salad:
- ½ pint organic cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ organic white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon organic cilantro, minced
- Juice from 1 organic lime
- Kosher salt
1. In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, ground cumin, coriander, salt, and garlic cloves. Add the flank steak and toss in the mixture until covered. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least two hours, ideally overnight.
2. When the meat has marinated, remove from the refrigerator to temper to room temperature; about one hour.
3. Preheat your grill for 10 minutes. Add the meat to the grill and cook on the first side for five minutes; then flip and cook on the opposite side for an additional five minutes. Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
4. While meat is resting, mix together the ingredients for the tomato salad, along with a few pinches of kosher salt. Slice the steak into one-inch strips and serve with tomato salad on top.
Add In A Vegetarian Option
For a protein-filled vegetarian option, Adrianna recommends her recipe for braised chickpeas with a bit of tomato and chipotle.
- 1 (15-ounce) can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle from a can of chipotle in adobo
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice from 1 organic lime
- 1 tablespoon minced organic cilantro
1. In a blender, add the tomatoes, chipotle in adobo, paprika, salt, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
2. In a medium pot or skillet set over medium heat, add the chickpeas and tomato mixture. Mix until combined. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover, cooking until all of the flavors are married and until the chickpeas have softened slightly, about 15 minutes. Uncover, give it a taste and adjust the salt to your liking.
3. Before serving, mix in the lime juice and garnish with cilantro.
Then Set Up Plenty Of Toppings
Now for the fun part: Adrianna sets out a range of toppings so her guests can customize their tacos. For starters, Adrianna sautees a batch of fresh onions and peppers:
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (try avocado, vegetable, or grapeseed oil)
- 1 organic white onion, peeled and sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 organic red bell peppers, trimmed and cut into 2-inch strips
1. In a medium skillet set over medium high heat, add the oil. When hot, add the onions, along with a few pinches of salt. Cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Next, add the red bell peppers and cook for additional 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve alongside the tacos.
In addition to the organic onions and peppers, Adrianna sets out small bowls filled with sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, diced white onion, lime wedges, and crumbled cotija cheese. Set out some flour tortillas, corn tortilla chips, and some homemade guacamole and you're good to go.
And Make Sure Your Guest Of Honor Eats Just As Well
"I care about what I feed myself and my friends and family, so I want to make sure that Amelia has the highest quality food that we can give her, because she is my family," says Adrianna, which is why Castor & Pollux PRISTINE® Grain Free Small Breed Grass-Fed Beef & Chickpea Recipe makes the perfect brunch meal for your beloved dog. The number one ingredient in Castor & Pollux PRISTINE® meat and poultry recipes comes from animals that are responsibly raised with access to fresh air, natural light, and space to roam. Plus, PRISTINE® recipes feature organic produce that's responsibly grown without synthetic fertilizers or chemical pesticides, on farms that care for the earth. To learn more about why Adrianna chose Castor & Pollux PRISTINE® for Amelia, check out our video below!
This post is sponsored by Castor & Pollux.