Pablo Calvo/Cultura/Getty Images
For tension in the side of your neck, try physical therapist Dr. Helen Goldstein’s gentle move:
1. Stand straight. Clasp hands behind back & puff chest.
2. Tilt head towards right shoulder, lifting chin to ceiling. Hold for 20.
3. Return to middle. Repeat on other side.
Yoga instructor Anne E. Appleby loves this stretch for releasing neck tension.
1. Lean forward and let your head hang.
2. Gently try to touch the floor, letting the weight of your arms release. Bend knees if needed.
3. Take deep breaths.
4. Gently rock side to side.
This stretch is yoga teacher Katrina Love Senn’s go-to.
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Exhale & drop your right ear to right shoulder.
3. Gently press right hand to left ear to increase stretch.
4. Hold. Return to center.
5. Gently roll head in circles.
6. Repeat on left.
Getty Images/Phira Phonruewiangphing / EyeEm
Physical therapist Lara Heimann’s sequence:
1. While seated, press shoulder blades into the chair.
2. Grab bottom of seat & lightly lift.
3. Lower chin to chest.
4. Hold 5-10 breaths. Lift head.
5. Release each ear to each shoulder.
6. Rest head on back of chair.
To ease neck pain, yoga teacher Brett Larkin recommends doing this stretch throughout the day.
1. Start in quadruped position.
2. Exhale, tuck tailbone, arch back towards ceiling. Hold.
3. Inhale & lift tailbone, roll shoulders back, gaze up.
4. Repeat for a few minutes.
Yoga instructor Ximena Yáñez’s go to:
1. Sit in chair. Inhale & draw shoulders towards ears.
2. Exhale. Bring shoulders down & back.
3. Engage core.
4. With shoulders down, send chin to chest.
5. Inhale & slowly bend neck backward. Look up.
6. Repeat 20 times.
An easy stretch for neck pain from trainer Jack Craig:
1. Bring chin to chest. Hold.
2. Roll head as far back as it will go. Hold.
3. Repeat, nodding head back & forth for 30 sec.
4. Turn head to left. Hold. Turn head to right. Hold.
5. Turn back & forth for 30 sec.