Video Allegedly Shows Tyrone Harris Holding A Gun During Ferguson Protest The Night He Was Shot By Police

After a weekend of demonstrations and protests in Ferguson, Missouri, marking the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown's death, 18-year-old Tyrone Harris remains in critical condition after being shot by police Sunday after allegedly opening fire on an unmarked car filled with detectives. The shooting has raised many questions, especially given the noteworthy timing and location of the incident. On Tuesday, though, police released a video that allegedly shows Harris holding a gun just moments before the run-in with authorities.

According to police reports, Harris allegedly fired at the detectives' vehicle and, later, at the detectives. The incident took place on West Florissant Avenue "in the vicinity of the protests." The detectives began pursuing Harris after he allegedly started exchanging gunfire with another gunman.

The detectives activated their emergency lights and began driving toward the suspect who immediately turned and began firing at the detective’s police vehicle, striking the police vehicle numerous times.

Early police statements did not identify Harris by name, but the video released Tuesday was accompanied by a brief statement, in which the St. Louis County Police department said it had identified the suspect in the video as Harris. The statement alleged Harris could be seen pulling a gun from his waistband.

The whole video is just 13 seconds long, and it does not have audio to complement it. It shows a group of people gathered outside of a business.

About eight seconds in, they begin scattering. It appears that they're fleeing from something, but without audio, it's hard to know exactly what they're running from.

At about 11 seconds, the suspect, who police have identified as Harris, can be seen standing on the sidewalk outside the business holding a gun (he's in the white T-shirt near the center of the frame).

Just before the end of the clip, the suspect runs toward the parking lot. He appears to raise his arms, although the video does not appear to show him firing his gun.

Watch the video yourself here:

St. Louis County Police on YouTube

All in all, Harris has been charged with 10 felonies, including four counts of first-degree assault on a law enforcement officer and five counts of armed criminal action. His father, Tyrone Harris, Sr., maintains that Harris was shot unnecessarily:

My son was running to the police to ask for help, and he was shot. It's all a bunch of lies ... They're making my son look like a criminal.

Ultimately, the video probably doesn't help Harris' case — although it's still too early to tell exactly how the shooting occurred and who is responsible. For now, we know that Harris has been critically injured, police have filed charges, and Ferguson has once again been declared a state of emergency.

Images: St. Louis County Police/YouTube (5)