When you enter into a new relationship, things can be awkward (but exciting) and a little weird (but thrilling). When you've been in a relationship for a while, and if you can stick it out past the initial hormonal "sparks" phase, things change, but not necessarily for the worst. There are a few tell-tale signs that your significant other is your best friend, which is what will inevitably happen in any longterm relationship that's meant to last.
I'll be the first to admit, things do tend to get a little less glamorous once you pass the one year mark, but surprisingly, that can actually be a good thing. Your hair doesn't always have to be perfect, you're not rushing to put makeup on in the morning, and staying in your sweats all day long becomes overwhelmingly easier. And the best part of it all? Your significant other isn't just your love interest anymore, he or she is actually your best friend. You can't beat that. You really, really can't.
So take a break from whatever you're doing, and have look through this list. I have a feeling many of these points will be all too familiar to you if you're in a longterm relationship, and I also have a feeling that it will probably put a giant smile on your face. Things can be good even after the honeymoon stage. Guaranteed.
1. When you have a fight, it's usually over something trivial... like who finished the box of Cap'n Crunch
They know Cap'n Crunch is your favorite cereal.
2. You prefer staying in with your significant other to going out with everyone else you know.
A movie night with microwavable popcorn is never a bad idea.
3. You really don't care how you look in front of them.
That includes ugly crying.
4. When your S.O. says "I love you," you respond with "I love you more."
Yeah, you make some people want to gag.
5. You know more than you've ever wanted to know about every single one of your partner's co-workers.
Ryan completely brown-noses the boss, Joaquin is stoned 50 percent of the time at work, and Betsy is on a juice cleanse, so you want to stay as far away from her as possible.
6. You try to convince each other that everything you like, they will like too.
Not everyone's a runner, dude.
7. When other couples get their PDA on in front of you, you both feel completely uncomfortable.
The "young love" phase of your relationship was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away.
8. You can't remember the last time you went on an official "date" besides a holiday, birthday, or anniversary.
It's cool though — dates are for boring couples.
9. You have no shame in blatantly asking for sex.
And then ordering a pizza afterwards.
Want more of Bustle's Sex and Relationships coverage? Check out our new podcast,I Want It That Way, which delves into the difficult and downright dirty parts of a relationship, and find more on our Soundcloud page.