The 'Arthur' Halloween Party Episode Is A Treat
Watching a good All Hallow's Eve episode of a scripted television series is like finding a full size Butterfinger candy bar in your trick-or-treat loot bag: it's basically the best thing on the planet. There are a lot of great Halloween specials, but one of my very favorites hails from PBS animated series Arthur. “The Fright Stuff" (aka the second half of the third episode of the fourth season ofArthur) (WOOF, so much math!) chronicles the mysterious events surrounding a mysterious Halloween soirée hosted at a mysterious castle. There are animals in costumes, there are ghosts, and there are pranks. It's perfect.
If you have not seen this particular episode of television/if it's been a while since you last watched this particular episode of television, you should remedy that. You want a reason? I'll give you 24.
- It’s only 11 minutes and 23 seconds long.
- Seriously, if you don't have 11 minutes and 23 seconds to watch this delightful video, take a long, hard look in the mirror.
- The cold open is a surrealist masterpiece.
- The episode title is a spooky punification of a New Kids on the Block classic.
- Who doesn't love a good pun?
- There are lots of pranks.
- Who doesn't love a good prank?
- Some of the pranks deliver party invitations to the prankee.
- Francine and Muffy throw a party based on a book.
- Who doesn’t love a good party based on a book?
- Excuse me, it’s a revenge party based on a book.
- There’s an Arthur-ified version of The Tell-Tale Heart.
- There’s an Arthur-ified version of War of the Worlds.
- There’s an Arthur-ified version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
- Muffy shares a terrific Halloween party decorating idea that involves balloons and glow-in-the-dark paint.
- All of the anthropomorphic animals wear elaborate Halloween costumes.
- There is nothing better than an animal wearing a costume.
- Arthur the aardvark dresses up like a superhero rabbit and it's probably the greatest thing since "Crazy Bus."<img src="http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/51/b6ba6c30-5e67-0133-4d15-0e3f8b958f63.png?w=320"/>
- Binky's creepy costume mask is pretty terrific, too.
- The party is haunted by real ghosts.
- Like, a real ghost wears a pumpkin over her head and crashes the party.
- Like, a ghost adult tells a ghost kid to keep a lid on the ghost pranks.
- MUFFY AND FRANCINE THREW A BOOK-INSPIRED HALLOWEEN PARTY AT AN ACTUAL HAUNTED HOUSE.
- Muffy and Francine are the best at throwing parties, period.
Are you frothing at the mouth yet? Totally understandable.
It's the best 11 minutes and 23 seconds you'll ever spend.
Image: PBS (2)