20 Of The Most Empowering Quotes From Books
I think one reason why we read is because we love the story of a hero. We are drawn to books about people who make things happen. There is nothing more exhilarating than being with a character as they pull themselves up by their bootstraps and make an impact on the world.
Think of Bilbo Baggins, reluctant as he is to join Gandalf and the dwarves, ultimately bringing down the dragon. Throughout The Hobbit, we tag along as he finds the power within himself to accomplish each feat. There's nothing quite so satisfying as that feeling when they win: the feeling of victory after a struggle.
We've all been in those moments when we feel like we can't do anything. Like the world is working against us. Like we're stuck. But books have taught that we're never truly defeated. Even in the worst of times, we always have the power within ourselves to rise up and achieve greatness.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that sometimes you have to jump off the proverbial cliff and make your own success. These empowering book quotes will pull you up and push you forward as you embark on your own path to success.
1. "I believe great people do things before they are ready."
― Amy Poehler, Yes Please
2. “Anything that works against you can also work for you once you understand the Principle of Reverse.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
3. “To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.”
― Yann Martel, Life of Pi
4. “When you can’t find someone to follow, you have to find a way to lead by example.”
― Roxane Gay, Bad Feminist
5. “I'm choosing happiness over suffering, I know I am. I'm making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet-to-come surprises.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
6. “Power, time, gravity, love. The forces that really kick ass are all invisible.”
― David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas
7. "So much universe, and so little time."
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Hero
8. “Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”
― Virignia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
9. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
10. “If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”
― Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief
11. “There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you, and there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish
12. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
― Paul Coelho, The Alchemist
13. “We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, If This Isn't Nice, What Is?
14. “Accept who you are; and revel in it.”
― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
15. “You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Even if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
16. “Love the world and yourself in it, move through it as though it offers no resistance, as though the world is your natural element.”
― Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife
17. "If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.”
― Nora Roberts, Tears of the Moon
18. "Because survival is insufficient."
― Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven
19. “Not being heard is no reason for silence.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Miserables
20. “The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Images: Joshua Harle, Matteo Paganelli,Tran Quoc Duong, Julia Caesar, Jonathan Pendleton, Patrick Fore/Unsplash; aatlas/pixabay; Austin Schmid/Unsplash; holdosi, nuzree, kimifreundin/Pixabay; Vincentin Solomon/Unsplash; 705847/Pixabay; Michelle Spencer/Unsplash; unsplash/Pixabay (2); Todd Quackenbush, Sancha Obelhoser/Unsplash; azboomer, foundry/Pixabay; Alex Krivec/Unsplash