On the heels of the Spice Girls' 20th anniversary, rumors have swirled that the best-selling girl group of all time may reunite for a tour (possibly even with The Backstreet Boys). Mel B. told Billboard that the ladies have remained close throughout the years and hinted at a possible Spice Girls reunion tour: “Once we sort everything out, we make an announcement, but right now we’re just figuring it all out.” Britain's The Sun reports that the women have been in talks to make it happen for a several months now, holding top-secret meetings in London, and "will soon begin negotiations with tour promoters and choose their new management team."
However, the news seemed to have caught Emma "Baby" Bunton off-guard. She said that she is unaware about plans for a comeback: "If anything happens and it's concrete, and we decide on something, I will let you know, but nothing's happening at the moment." It seems she was not the only one taken by surprise by the claims. Mel C later tweeted: "Woke up this morning wondering whether I need to start practising my backflips???!!!")
Is it possible that the ladies were truly surprised by the story? Or could all be part of an elaborate media strategy to boost speculation before the (almost) inevitable announcement that the group will mount a second tour? In honor of this momentous possibility, here are the best moments in Spice Girls history. So far, anyway.
1. When They Met The Royal Family And Made Prince Charles Uncomfortable
Please note Prince Harry's Bieber hair, pre-Bieber.
2. ...Every. Single. Time.
Seriously my new favorite YouTube video ever. Please also note how Prince Charles doesn't understand the concept of "girl power."
3. When They Performed At The 2012 London Olympics...
4. ...And Victoria Was Just Like, "Eh, Whatever. I'll Sit This One Out."
This is why everyone always wants to be Posh Spice.
5. When They Covered Rolling Stone And Gave The Most Nuts Interview Ever
Beginning with Mel B picking her nose ("'Everyone picks their nose,' shrugs Geri. 'President Clinton picks his nose'") and ending in them trashing a hotel room.
6. When They Won Our Hearts All Over Again With This Epic Song For A Pepsi Commercial
If you weren't already a fan, you became a fan.
7. Everything Spice World...
As if the description wasn't enough ("Hang on to your knickers, pump up your platforms, and fasten your seat belts, because the Spice Girls are taking center stage"), every second of the film is worthy of a PhD thesis.
8. ...Including Their Grand Entrance To The Film's Premiere On A Giant Double-Decker Bus In All-White Getups
9. When Ginger Rocked A Union Jack "Dress" At The Brit Awards With No Pants
Because who wears pants, anyway? The now-iconic dress was auctioned off at Sotheby's for $59,000, and can be found in the lobby of the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas.
10. When They Sang At The 2007 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show — And Slayed
Note the glittery microphones.
11. When They Killed It In Cavalli At Their 2008 Reunion Tour...
Images: Giphy; Rolling Stone; Wikipedia Commons