Female Suspect In San Bernardino Shooting ID'd

Update: On Wednesday, Dec. 2, a shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California left 14 people dead and 21 wounded. Hours after the attack, police pursued information that led to a chase of a dark SUV, which was later determined to be a rental car. A shootout between police and the suspects left both suspects dead. They were identified as Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, who were husband and wife.

According to SBPD Chief Jarrod Burguan, the four guns used in the shooting were purchased legally. The suspects were found to have 1,600 rounds of ammunition with them, and at a home they were renting in Redlands, California, law enforcement officers found 4,500 rounds of ammunition and 12 pipe bombs. No official motive has been confirmed, though a source told The Los Angeles Times that investigators are considering that it might be terrorism or workplace-related.

Earlier: In a live press conference late Wednesday evening, law enforcement officials provided details on the events surrounding a mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, Califorinia, that resulted in the deaths of 14 individuals. Officials confirmed earlier reports that one of the suspected shooters killed in a police shootout was 28-year-old Syed Rizwan Farook. Authorities also confirmed that the female suspect killed was 27-year-old Tashfeen Malik.

Authorities stated that there was definitely a relationship between Malik and Farook, but it was unconfirmed whether they were married, engaged, or dating. Co-workers of Farook told The Los Angeles Times that the suspect, who worked as a food inspector for San Bernardino County's Public Health Department, had traveled to Saudi Arabia and returned with a wife whom he had earlier met online. One colleague, Patrick Baccari, said that the couple had a baby. CNN reports the couple shared a six-month-old daughter, who was left with a grandmother prior to the shooting. Whether or not the wife whom colleagues spoke of was Malik has not yet been confirmed.

Police chief Jarrod Burguan said during the conference that there "had to be some degree of planning" prior to the shooting. Witnesses stated that shooters were dressed in dark clothing and carried extra ammunition. Police also discovered multiple explosive devices at the center. Burguan said that police were "pretty comfortable" in saying that Malik and Farook were the only two shooters involved in the attack.

Police also stated that Farook was in attendance at the holiday gathering for county public health employees which took place in the Center. Farook was reportedly involved in some sort of dispute at the party and left the event early. He then returned with Malik, both armed with assault rifles and handguns, police said. While exact details of Malik's actions during the attack are unknown, CNN reports that "along with Malik, [Farook] went into the building."

David Bowdich, an FBI official, said they would not yet classify the shooting as an act of terrorism, but that "it is a possibility." Farook has been identified as a U.S. citizen. Details on Malik's background are still unknown.

Police detained a third person close to the location of the shootout, but law enforcement officials have not confirmed whether they were directly involved in the shooting.