Updates To Jakarta Attacks As Blasts & Gunfire Erupt In The City
On Thursday, militants launched a series of attacks in Jakarta, rocking the city's busy center, which is frequented by both locals and tourists. The first explosion occurred around 10:30 a.m. local time, near Thamrin Road and Wahid Haysim Street. According to the Associated Press, multiple blasts erupted in the area, which is filled with stores touting Western brands.
One blast reportedly focused on a Starbucks. The company issued a statement saying that one customer sustained injuries, and that it would close all stores in the city until further notice. "We are deeply saddened by the senseless acts that have taken place in Jakarta today; our hearts are with the people of Indonesia," the statement read.
Other explosions took place in a shopping center with a McDonald's near the Sarinah mall. Two people were confirmed killed in the mall's vicinity, police spokesman Col. Muhammad Iqbal told reporters. A United Nations building was also in the direct area and was put on lockdown. Local media reported that the explosions were suicide bombings. Hours after the initial blast, Iqbal said that a siege with assailants was over, with five attackers confirmed dead, and that police were in control of the scene. Indonesia's capital was already on edge prior to the deadly attack, after ISIS threatened to put a "spotlight" on the city. However, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo denounced the events, saying, "The state, nation, and people should not be afraid of, and lose to, such terror acts."