Oh to be in love! It's just one of those things that is totally unexplainable and impossible to define, but if you would like a little help attempting to articulate it, then these 16 romantic Valentine's Day quotes below are all must-reads.
Talking about romance can be difficult, because there's never really a single thing that you can pinpoint in defining what love is. Quite the opposite, love is many things... so many things. It is thinking of somebody before yourself, it is catching somebody when he or she falls, and it is going out of your way to make somebody feel important — but that's just to name a few.
What's so wonderful about these 16 romantic Valentine's Day quotes is that they manage to encapsulate the idea of love without having to strictly define it. These brilliant authors actually write around the truth of love, somehow managing to encapsulate it in their strings of winding words.
If you're in need of something deep to write in your significant other's V-Day card, then I suggest you take a scroll below. Any one of these romantic love quotes will have your Valentine swooning on that much anticipated day of Feb. 14.
1. "Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone — we find it with another." — Thomas Merton
2. "For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." — Judy Garland
3. "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." — Blaise Pascal
4. "The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along." — Rumi
5. "We are most alive when we're in love." — John Updike
6. "How did it happen that their lips came together? How does it happen that birds sing, that snow melts, that the rose unfolds, that the dawn whitens behind the stark shapes of trees on the quivering summit of the hill? A kiss, and all was said." — Victor Hugo
7. "A kiss makes the heart young again and wipes out the years." — Rupert Brooke
8. "If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I." — Michel de Montaigne
9. "I know of only one duty, and that is to love." — Albert Camus
10. "Romance is thinking about your significant other, when you are supposed to be thinking about something else." — Nicholas Sparks
11. "It is the passion that is in a kiss that gives to it its sweetness; it is the affection in a kiss that sanctifies it." — Christian Nestell Bovee
12. "The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight, and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men it is said have seen angels, but I have seen thee and thou art enough." — George Edward Moore
13. "Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it." — Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
14. "Love shall be our token; love be yours and love be mine." — Christina Rossetti
15. "I do not want horses or diamonds — I am happy in possessing you." — Clara Schumann
16. "The Eskimos had 52 names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love." — Margaret Atwood
Images: Unsplash; Giphy (4)