3 Things We Want to See From Kanye West's New Collaboration with A.P.C. ...and 3 Things We Just Don't
This is the most exciting Kanye West news since Yeezus dropped and he had a kid, which, yes, was just a few weeks ago. But this is definitely the most exciting Kanye West news since a few weeks ago! A.P.C. has confirmed that the rapper will be doing a collection for the line.
Fact: The line has the potential to be incredible... but the equal potential to be a complete trainwreck. Here, what I hope the line is, plus what I pray to Yeezus it isn't:
Here's hoping Kanye West x A.P.C....
- Gives a touch of street style to the more simple brand. West's clothing taste is one-of-a-kind. If anyone can take a simple pair of jeans and make them into something that'll drop jaws, it's him. In 2012, A.P.C. founder Jean Touitou told GQ that he and West wanted to do something, "related to clothes that's not high fashion, probably something more sporty."
- Gives Kanye an opportunity to be not so Kanye-y. Collaboration is all about being humble and acknowledging that you couldn't have done it alone. Unfortunately, "Kanye West" and "humble" aren't typically in the same sentence. But wait! The rapper has already tweeted, "Thank you Jean Touitou for letting me create with you." Well, well, well. Look who's growin' up.
- Remind everyone that, yes, Kanye West is really talented. Between the now infamous New York Times interview and naming his kid North, people have been more focused on what West does, rather than who he is. If he kills it on the A.P.C. line, he can remind people that he really is an artist... and they won't even need him to remind them a hundred times.
Here's hoping it's not...
- A gimmick. Too often, celebrity lines are just ways for that celebrity to make money. If all West did was slap his name on a tag, fans will be pretty disappointed.
- A line of leather skirts. Lest we ever forget that Kanye West wore a leather skirt to perform at Madison Square Garden.
- Silk-screen t-shirts of North's face. Although, that would be a pretty cool way to release baby photos.
Let's start the waiting game, shall we?