Pour one out, because a major reality singing competition show has bitten the dust. Deadline reports that The X Factor will not return for a fourth season. Friday evening, Fox announced the show's cancellation just after creator and judge Simon Cowell confirmed he'll be going back to the UK version of The X Factor. "I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol," Cowell said. "Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return to the UK version of The X Factor in 2014."
Fox chairman Kevin Reilly said, "Unfortunately, there is no X Factor USA without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life."
"To all of us at Fox, Simon is more than one of the most prolific TV personalities of our time," Reilly said. "He’s part of our family."
But Cowell's departure wasn't the only thing working against US version of The X Factor: the third season's ratings were not so hot. There'd been speculation as to whether or not Fox would give a fourth season a go, despite season 3's ratings. Unfortunately for X Factor fans, the decision was "no-go."
Image:Getty Images; ruoloc/tumblr