13 March Madness Quotes To Help Wind Up The Season
As March nears its end, so does a long, exciting season of college basketball. The championship game will be competing on April 4, and the excitement buzzing around it can only mean one thing: it's time to start rounding up some March Madness quotes.
Whether you follow the college basketball world for the entirety of the winter or tend to tune in only during the madness of March, there's no evading the fact that the sport is a thrilling one to watch. Things happen quickly in the world of hoops and nets, and even as someone who isn't a huge basketball fan, I have to admit that the passion around the sport draws me in every time.
Specifically, there's something about college basketball in particular that seems to carry that much more enthusiasm. Maybe it's because the players aren't jaded yet, or maybe it's because the star players tend to be celebrities on their respective campuses, but college basketball isn't just a sport these days... it's an entire culture.
That being said, let's take a look at some powerful quotes that hit at the heart of the game. From the technical aspects of being on the court to the driven players behind the ball, there's something to be learned from basketball for all of us.
1. "Basketball is the MTV of sports." — Sara Levinson
2. "Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team." — Scottie Pippen
3. "The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot." — Bill Russell
4. "I made a ridiculous statement when I first went to North Carolina State. I said I know basketball down there was like life or death. It was very wrong. It’s more important." — Jim Valvano
5. "Basketball is a game that gives you every chance to be great, and puts every pressure on you to prove that you haven't got what it takes. It never takes away the chance, and it never eases up on the pressure." — Bob Sundvold
6. "The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy." — Jerry Tarkanian
7. "As long as you try your best, you are never a failure. That is, unless you blame others." — John Wooden
8. "Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up." — Red Auerbach
9. "When I dunk, I put something on it. I want the ball to hit the floor before I do." — Darryl Dawkins
10. "The rule was 'No autopsy, no foul.'" — Stewart Granger
11. "Everybody wants to take responsibility when you win, but when you fail, all these fingers are pointing." — Mike Krzyzewski
12. "You don’t play against opponents; you play against the game of basketball." — Bobby Knight
13. "There are really only two plays: Romeo and Juliet, and put the darn ball in the basket." — Abe Lemons