April 18 may be the most hated date of 2016. These funny tax day quotes will help you get through it. No matter what political party you consider yourself to be a part of, it seems to me that everybody hates paying their taxes mid-April. I don't care what you believe regarding income and state taxes, who actually likes the process of giving their hard-earned money to the government? That's what I thought, and it's also what these 14 people being quoted below think too.
For most of us, filing your taxes means that you're going to be handing over some cash to the IRS. True, there are the lucky few that end up making money when they file their taxes, but that number is few and far between. For the rest us (particularly us freelancers... sigh), tax day makes us go broke.
I don't know if you're voting for Hillary or feeling the Bern, or if your beliefs lie in the Republican party. I don't know if you're even registered to fill out a ballot (though if you're of age, you should get on that ASAP!). What I do know is that things below are about to get a little bit political, and that's OK. In fact, it only seems appropriate to keep on stirring the pot given the fact that it's an election year.
1. "The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax." — Albert Einstein
2. "You know, gentlemen, that I do not owe any personal income tax. But nevertheless, I send a small check, now and then, to the Internal Revenue Service out of the kindness of my heart." — David Rockefeller
3. "The only thing that hurts more than paying an income tax is not having to pay an income tax." — Thomas Dewar
4. "In liberal logic, if life is unfair then the answer is to turn more tax money over to politicians, to spend in ways that will increase their chances of getting reelected." — Thomas Sowell
5. "I just filled out my income tax forms. Who says you can't get killed by a blank?" — Milton Berle
6. "The U.S. tax code was written by A students. Every April 15, we have to pay somebody who got an A in accounting to keep ourselves from being sent to jail." — P.J. O'Rourke
7. "The tax collector must love poor people, he's creating so many of them." — Bill Vaughan
8. "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." — Ronald Reagan
9. "A tax cut to compensate for a tax increase is not a cut — it's a con." — Tony Abbott
10. "What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin." — Mark Twain
11. "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." — Winston Churchill
12. "Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss." — Robert A. Heinlein
13. "I have always paid income tax. I object only when it reaches a stage when I am threatened with having nothing left for my old age — which is due to start next Tuesday or Wednesday." — Noel Coward
14. "I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." — Douglas Adams