13 Friday The 13th Quotes That Will Totally Freak You Out
If you're anything like me, you enjoy a light scare from time to time; you get kind of jazzed about silly things like dark clouds rolling in before a thunderstorm as if their ominous message holds the promise of something really... creepy and exciting. Having an affinity for the mysterious means you very likely are looking forward to the last day of the workweek, and a few creepy Friday the 13th quotes are probably just what you want to get in the mood.
For background, let's touch on what makes this "unlucky" day the subject of so much superstition in many parts of the world. Fears tied to Friday the 13th date back as far as the Middle Ages. Paraskevidekatriaphobia, the Greek word coined for fear of this particular day, may be tied to a number of events, including the story of Jesus' last supper and crucifixion, as well as a Norse myth about 12 gods who held a dinner party in Valhalla when a 13th uninvited guest, Loki, showed up not too pleased with the meeting. Yeah, history for the freaky win.
Want to get in the spirit for Friday the 13th? Check out these 13 creepy quotes, and revel in your own impending doom.
1. "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."
—Edgar Allan Poe
2. "For the dead travel fast."
—Bram Stoker, Dracula
3. "Danny isn't here, Mrs. Torrance."
—Danny Torrance, The Shining
4. "She thought she heard a sound behind her — fragile, skittering. Amelia turned. The sound had stopped. She felt a chill move up the backs of her legs. 'It’s He Who Kills,' she said with a smile."
—Richard Matheson, Prey
5. "A cold hand fell on Louis’s shoulder. Rachel’s voice was grating, full of dirt. 'Darling' it said."
—Stephen King, Pet Semetary
6. "We're all mad here."
—Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
7. "You're doomed! You're all doomed!"
—Crazy Ralph, Friday the 13th
8. "Yesterday, upon the stair,I met a man who wasn’t thereHe wasn’t there again todayI wish, I wish he’d go away…"
—Hughes Mearns, Antigonish
9. "When ill luck begins, it does not come in sprinkles, but in showers."
—Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson
10. "Oh, we have 12 vacancies. 12 cabins, 12 vacancies."
—Norman Bates, Psycho
11. "What the mind doesn't understand, it worships or fears."
12. "Wandless, helpless, Pettigrew’s pupils dilated in terror. His eyes had slid from Harry’s face to something else. His own silver fingers were moving inexorably toward his own throat."
—JK Rowling, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows
13. "There are mysteries which men can only guess at, which age by age they may solve only in part."
—Bram Stoker, Dracula
Needless to say, Hollywood has banked big time by playing on our ancestral fears, which don't seem to be going away anytime soon, but why should they? I love a good horror flick as much as the next person...especially on a dark and stormy evening... and especially on a day when the rest of the world is similarly situated under a blanket pulled up to their eyes in fear. Sleep tight, my little triskaidekaphobes, and happy Friday the 13th!
Images: Redd Angelo/ Unsplash; Giphy