If there's ever been a day to deck yourself out with American flags, it has got to be Independence Day. Celebrate this holiday by taking in these patriotic quotes for the Fourth of July and a long, deep breath of freedom. It's easy to take living in this country for granted, but when you really stop to think about it, every U.S. citizen is extremely blessed to be here.
The Fourth of July represents everything that America stands for, from freedom of religion to freedom of the press. It's been over two centuries since this country gained its independence from England, and countless wars and battles have been fought to keep that liberty intact. Everything comes at a price, and the price paid for the United States' freedom is one that is immeasurable.
All this being said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a neighborhood cookout and lighting up some sparklers this Fourth of July, but make sure you take some time to really revel in how lucky you are to live in this amazing country as well. We may all have our differences, but the fact that we can express them freely is what truly makes America so unique. God bless this beautiful country.
1. "May the sun in his course visit no land more free, more happy, more lovely, than this our own country!" — Daniel Webster
2. "I believe in America because we have great dreams, and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true." — Wendell L. Wilkie
3. "The winds that blow through the wide sky in these mounts, the winds that sweep from Canada to Mexico, from the Pacific to the Atlantic — have always blown on free men." — Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. "Where liberty dwells, there is my country." — Benjamin Franklin
5. "Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people.” — Abraham Lincoln
6. "So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring." — Martin Luther King Jr.
7. "For what avail the plough or sail, or land or life, if freedom fail?" — Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. "Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity." — Herbert Hoover
9. "America is much more than a geographical fact. It is a political and moral fact — the first community in which men set out in principle to institutionalize freedom, responsible government, and human equality." — Adlai Stevenson
10. "Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." — Albert Einstein
11. "Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall." — John Dickinson
12. "My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" — Thomas Jefferson
13. "This, then, is the state of the union: free and restless, growing and full of hope. So it was in the beginning. So it shall always be, while God is willing, and we are strong enough to keep the faith." — Lyndon B. Johnson
Image: Gabby Orcutt/Unsplash