Everybody has to go to school, but that doesn't mean that everybody's going to enjoy it. The authors of these 14 funny back-to-school quotes know exactly what I am talking about, and they are not afraid to make a few jokes about the good ol' education system. While the schooling system isn't perfect in this country, it's still a vital part of developing the youth of America. That being said, there are still some big things that we can all laugh about when talking school.
Obviously, having a good education is important. It provides enlightenment and knowledge while helping shape our culture and empower our concern for social justice. What's not to love about all of that? Maybe the square roots and the ancient Latin vocabulary words, and the dissection of baby piglets. True, some students really love that stuff and will go on to become some of the greatest minds of our time, but many others aren't going to remember a lick of it after graduation day.
If you are dreading heading back to school, these silly (but surprisingly wise) quotes might help ease the pain for you. Sometimes, if you laugh at what you least enjoy, it can make it that much more bearable. There are certainly things to be learned in the classroom; however, there are also things to be learned in the real world, so if school's not your jam, that doesn't mean you're not going to excel in life. To each their own!
1. "Education can get you the only thing that really matters in today's world — an assigned parking space." — Gene Perret
2. "In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson." — Tom Bodett
3. "It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows." — Epictetus
4. "No wonder the teacher knows so much; she has the book." — Edgar Watson Howe
5. "Some students drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle." — E.C. McKenzie
6. "Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." — Will Durant
7. "People learn something every day, and a lot of times it’s that what they learned the day before was wrong." — Bill Vaughan
8. "Education helps you earn more. But not many schoolteachers can prove it." — E. C. McKenzie
9. "Work hard, nap hard." — Demi Lovato
10. "The human brain is special. It starts working as soon as you get up and it doesn't stop until you get to school." — Milton Berle
11. "Nothing grieves a child more than to study the wrong lesson and learn something he wasn't suppose to." — E.C. McKenzie
12. "When a teacher calls a boy by his entire name, it means trouble." — Mark Twain
13. "If people did not do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." — Ludwig Wittgenstein
14. "Education costs money, but then so does ignorance." — Claus Moser
Image: Brooke Cagle/Unsplash