Feminism: it's not a bad word. If you haven't realized that yet, these inspiring feminist quotes for Women's Equality Day on Aug. 26 will tell it to you straight. Being a woman in this world is not easy, but that shouldn't stop us from fighting the good fight for equality.
These thoughtful quotes get to the heart of what it means to be a feminist. The word "feminist" still gets a pretty bad rap, even in 2016, and there is still some confusion over what the word actually means. It's pretty simple, actually, but in case you are looking for a formal definition, Dictionary.com explains that a feminist is anyone who is "advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men." Taking a look at that official definition, shouldn't we all be calling ourselves feminists? I'd like to think so.
On Women's Equality Day, help to spread the feminist love. Post one of these powerful quotes on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and let the world know where you stand when it comes to women's rights. Women have a long way to go in the fight for full equal rights, and spreading the knowledge is a great place to start.
1. "Feminism isn't about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It's about changing the way the world perceives that strength." — G.D. Anderson
2. "Women have to harness their power — it's absolutely true. It's just learning not to take the first no. And if you can't go straight ahead, you go around the corner." — Cher
3. "We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back." — Malala Yousafzai
4. "I’m a feminist because I believe in women… It’s a heavy word, feminism, but it’s not one I think we should run from. I’m proud to be a feminist." — Sheryl Sandberg
5. "I am not free while any women is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own." — Audre Lorde
6. "I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody's passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn't mind leading." — Amy Poehler
7. "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." — Coco Chanel
8. "I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." — Rebecca West
9. "I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I'm beautiful. I say if I'm strong. You will not determine my story — I will." — Amy Schumer
10. "A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men." — Gloria Steinem
11. "If men could see us as we really are, they would be a little amazed." — Charlotte Bronte
12. "Figure out who you are separate from your family, and the man or woman you're in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that's the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self because with that, you can do anything else." — Angelina Jolie