September 23 marks Celebrate Bisexuality Day, a day devoted to celebrating the bisexual community and everything it stands for. These 10 Bisexuality Day quotes get to the heart of what it means to be bisexual, and perhaps even more importantly, show how important love is no matter who you choose to be in a relationship with.
Being a bisexual in this country (let alone in this world) has never been easy, but fortunately, acceptance has come a long way in the last couple of years. September 23 may be a day dedicated to celebrating bisexuals, but in reality, every day should be a day about celebrating bisexuals.
These 10 quotes come from all sorts of authors who come from all different walks of life. The one thing they all have in common? They all know that sexuality isn't a choice, and that there is nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to loving whoever it is you want to love. We still have a long way to go in this country when it comes to social tolerance and acceptance, but for the day, let's celebrate how far we have come. Bisexuals, it is time to celebrate. Non-bisexuals, it is time to celebrate. Everyone in between, it's time to celebrate.
1. "To those who are gay, lesbian, bisexual,or transgender — let me say — you are not alone. You're struggle, for the end to violence and discrimination, is a shared struggle. Today, I stand with you. And I call upon all countries and people, to stand with you too. A historic shift is underway. We must tackle the violence, decriminalize consensual same-sex relationships and end discrimination. We must educate the public. I call on this council and people of conscience to make this happen. The time has come." — Ban Ki-Moon
2. "I'm open about having bipolar disorder. I'm open about being of mixed race. I'm open about being bisexual, and I have this wantingness to talk about it, and for me, it's about more than being a role model for any specific community." — Halsey
3. "To me, it’s not who you love… a man, a woman, what have you… it’s the fact that you love. That is all that truly matters." — Al Pacino
4. "I'm not lesbian; I'm not bisexual; I'm not straight. I'm just curious." — Alice Walker
5. "I don't believe that if I came out as bisexual the world will change. But it's really important for people to be truthful about who they are and fight for equality. We need to help the world usher itself into the next phase." — Olivia Thereby
6. "No one's ever really cared about me being bisexual, and I only came out because I had always been out; it's just the general public didn't know. I'm quite fearless. I'm like, 'Let's just go out there and do this and see what happens.'" — Nicola Adams
7. "Do not start. Do not blush. Let us admit in the privacy of our own society that these things sometimes happen. Sometimes women do like women." — Virginia Woolf
8. "All identity labels are umbrella terms to some degree, but this term 'bisexual' is not only serviceable, but it is sufficient. And yes, it brings together a bunch of people who are maybe shades different from one another. And maybe that's the beauty of labels: that they force you to be with other people and see the difference." — Charles M. Blow
9. "Amazing how eye and skin color come in many shades yet many think sexuality is just gay or straight." — DaShanne Stokes
10. "While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship." — Cynthia Nixon