Con Edison Sued For East Harlem Explosion, And We Should Expect More Lawsuits To Come
Following the March 12 explosion in East Harlem, Con Edison has been sued by one of the blast's victims — and more suits are likely to come. Michelle Nelson filed her lawsuit with the Manhattan Supreme Court for injuries that she sustained more than a block away from the deadly blast, which killed eight people and left dozens injured. The explosion was allegedly caused by a gas leak that caused two buildings to collapse.
Still, a Con Edison spokesman told WNYC News that the 127-year-old gas main had been checked just two weeks prior to the blast.
Nelson, 46, claims she fell during the blast and “sustained severe and permanent injuries,” according to the New York Post. She's also accusing the landlord of failing to keep the premises safe and secure.
And Nelson isn’t the only one seeking restitution: Jose Vargas, a 20-year-old high-school student, may sue the city for $10 million after filing paperwork on Monday. Vargas was a passenger on a city bus, which was driving passed the building on W. 116th Street when the explosion threw him against the bus interior. He was treated for injuries to his blood vessels and ligaments at Mt. Sinai Hospital.
Bob McGee, a Con Edison spokesman, told the New York Post that the company hasn't received Nelson's complaint, but will review it once it arrives.
Meanwhile, the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating Con Edison's maintenance records of past gas line problems and call logs to determine if the company is to blame for the explosion.