There are half a million reasons experiencing a rush hour traffic jam in my brain to explain why fall is the best season. The colors of the leaves and the clothes and the sky at sunset are the stuff that keeps my inner hippie very much alive. When fall produce hits the shelves and stalls at local markets, I anxiously await the first evening of the year cold enough to make hot apple cider cocktails. These fall quotes about leaves explore the paint palette of nature's greatest season, and if this doesn't inspire you to make a loaf of pumpkin bread right now, I don't know what will.
From F. Scott Fitzgerald to J. K. Rowling, fall has been an inspiration for the world's most influential wordsmiths for centuries. I think that's true for two reasons — the first, fall demands a rich description. If you were to describe autumn to intelligent life from another planet, you would have to capture the sensory density of a sunset behind a hillside covered in bright orange maple trees, the smell of the wind as winter slowly creeps into the picture, and the taste of Thanksgiving dinner. The second reason I believe fall is a popular prompt for writers through the ages is simply that literally every person with a soul enjoys the season.
It's programmed into the cultural memory of people in the Northern Hemisphere that the harvest and the feasts that come with it are a great way to celebrate the year's last few days of going outside with any exposed skin whatsoever. So, without further ado, let's let the experts do the poetry. Here are some great quotes about fall leaves.
1. "It looked like the world was covered in a cobbler crust of brown sugar and cinnamon." — Sarah Addison Allen, First Frost
2. "Autumn seemed to arrive suddenly that year. The morning of the first September was crisp and golden as an apple." — J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
3. "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." — Albert Camus
4. "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." — F Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
5. "Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons." ― Jim Bishop
6. "Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." — Emily Bronte, "Fall, leaves, fall"
7. "Two sounds of autumn are unmistakable… the hurrying rustle of crisp leaves blown along the street… by a gusty wind, and the gabble of a flock of migrating geese." — Hal Borland
8. "Autumn that year painted the countryside in vivid shades of scarlet, saffron, and russet, and the days were clear and crisp under harvest skies." — Sharon Kay Penman
9. "The trees are about to show us how lovely it is to let the dead things go." — Anonymous
10. "Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale." — Lauren DeStefano
Happy fall, everyone.