24 Times 'Game Of Thrones' Was Creepy AF
There are some universal truths you have to accept when it comes to watching Game of Thrones. Firstly, the show is going to break your heart. Multiple times. Secondly, the show is going to frustrate you beyond belief. Frequently. And thirdly, the show is going to scare you out of your wits. Mostly, when you least expect it. Case in point, Game of Thrones has been creepy AF so very many times that I’ve decided to compile a list of the most staying eerie instances.
This compilation was no easy feat. The creep factor ranges from despicable, underhanded acts to uncanny coincidences and otherworldly powers. But, the connecting thread between these moments is that all of them undoubtedly make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Goosebumps, shrieking, and the shivers are pretty much the name of the game when it comes to watching Game of Thrones, especially when you watch long term and are subjected to the unexpected twists and turns it constantly delivers, both good and bad. But, you know, mostly bad.
If there’s one thing the powers that be know how to do, it's to get Game of Thrones fans to keep their lights on when they go to sleep after tuning in, and here’s proof.
1. The White Walkers' Introduction
The white walkers quite literally set the tone for the series, as they were the in the first scene of the pilot. They still scare the crap out of me.
2. When Jon Came Back From The Dead
Yeah, I said it. I was as glad as the next person that he wasn't intent on that eternal type of rest, but I'm also not pretending like this whole scene wasn't super weird and unnerving.
3. When We Had To Look Into This Dude's Eyes
4. Whenever There's An Ominous Catchphrase Etched In Blood Laying Around
*Peaks through eyes*
5. Any Time The Night's King Made An Appearance
*Hides face in hands*
6. When Joffrey Got, Uh, Excited For All The Wrong Reasons
7. Joffrey's Death
Like, I wasn't exactly sad about it (OK, I was cheering) but that desperate, purple face is going to haunt me forever.
8. When It Looked Like Jon Was Going To Die (Prematurely)
*Pained face emoji x10*
9. The House Of Black And White, GoT's Own Personal Haunted House
Don't go in, Arya. Don't. Go. In.
10. And Subsequently, The Hall Of Faces
Nothing like decorating your home with the inanimate faces of people you know, right?
11. Also: Jaqen
Like, just in general.
12. While We're At It, Viserys, Too
His mere presence sends chills down my spine.
13. Whenever A Warg Is In The Zone
Those eyes. *Shudders*
14. The Dragons
There, I said it. Dany might consider them babies, but they still look like gigantic, fire breathing monsters to me. Come on, you know you feel the same.
15. The Scenery That Screams "Horror Movie"
I said multiple prayers to all of the gods old and new during their voyage.
16. Melisandre's Patented Warning
We know, OK?!
17. Melisandre's Shadow Baby
18. This Total Weirdo
What's her name?
19. When Khaleesi Took A Big 'Ol Bite Out Of That Beating Heart
The eye contact, man. Yikes.
20. Oberyn's Horrific Death
I apologize for rehashing this.
21. This Line, Which Has Haunted Me Throughout The Entire Series
This foreshadowed Arya's entire journey on the show thus far.
22. Theon's Kidnapping By Ramsey
Ramsey's done more reprehensible things that can't be covered under the definition of "creepy," but his enjoyment over torturing Theon sure does.
23. Bran And Rickon's "Deaths"
These were brutal and unnerving.
24. Tywin's Murder
While I genuinely think Tyrion is one of the best characters on the show, him killing his vulnerable father in cold blood was... rough. No matter how terrible Tywin was.
I guess we have Season 7 to look forward to in terms of upping this unsettling list. Lucky us.