There are few people in our lives who make as large of a difference as teachers do, and these 15 teacher quotes for World Teachers' Day should help to put that into perspective. While we should be celebrating teachers every day of the year (particularly, during the school year), Oct. 5 provides us with at least one full day dedicated to the human beings who spend their time, efforts, and lives educating all of us.
It's no secret that teachers are some of the lowest paid professionals in the job market, and while there are always exceptions to that statistic, doesn't it seem a little disheartening that the people we're entrusting our children's education to are considered so low on the pay scale? However, while upping teachers' salaries across the nation isn't something that we can accomplish overnight, there are other ways for us to show our appreciation to these selfless educators.
Take a moment today to reach out to a teacher who has positively affected your life, and let him or her know just how much of an impact they have had on you. Share a quote, tell a story, or give a gift to a teacher you know. It might not seem like much, but it could mean a lot more than you may ever know.
1. "A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning." — Brad Henry
2. "The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." — C.S. Lewis
3. "The true teacher defends his pupils against his own personal influence. He inspires self-trust. He guides their eyes from himself to the spirit that quickens him. He will have no disciples." — Amos Bronson Alcott
4. "The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." — Dan Rather
5. "Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students." — Solomon Ortiz
6. "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." — Albert Einstein
7. "I think the teaching profession contributes more to the future of our society than any other single profession." — John Wooden
8. "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." — Henry Adams
9. "The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards." — Anatole France
10. "Good teachers know how to bring out the best in students." — Charles Kuralt
11. "The thing I loved the most — and still love the most about teaching — is that you can connect with an individual or a group, and see that individual or group exceed their limits." — Mike Krzyzewski
12. "Your best teacher is your last mistake." — Ralph Nader
13. "If you have to put someone on a pedestal, put teachers. They are society's heroes." — Guy Kawasaki
14. "The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching." — Aristotle
15. "The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery." — Mark Van Doren
Images: Wokandapix/Pixabay; Giphy