The first Friday of every October is World Smile Day, and if you didn't know that, now you do. To help get you in the right mood to celebrate this special day, rounded up below are a handful of the best smile quotes ever spoken. These quotes come from the likes of Goldie Hawn to Mother Teresa, and the one thing that they all have in common is that it doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, a smile still means the same thing to all of us.
A smile is a universal sign of kindness, love, welcome, and endearment. Who wouldn't want more of that in their life? I know that I do, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in that sentiment. Besides, as one of the authors below points out, a smile is free therapy, and I'm on a budget.
It's amazing how the simple curve of a pair of lips can totally change the atmosphere. A warm smile is one of the best gifts you can give. Have you ever been having a horrific day, and then a stranger smiles at you over something funny happening on the commute home? It can change everything. Give out some smiles today, you never know who may be needing one.
1. "A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." — William Arthur Ward
2. "A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." — Phyllis Diller
3. "I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile." — Goldie Hawn
4. "A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose." — Tom Wilson
5. We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." — Mother Teresa
6. "Remember even though the outside world might be raining, if you keep on smiling the sun will soon show its face and smile back at you." — Anna Lee
7. "I think that anybody that smiles automatically looks better." — Diane Lane
8. "A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside." — Denis Waitley
9. "Smile, it's free therapy." — Douglas Horton
10. "Nobody needs a smile so much as the one who has none to give. So get used to smiling heart-warming smiles, and you will spread sunshine in a sometimes dreary world." — Lawrence G. Lovasik
11. "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." — Thomas Paine
12. "If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it." — Andy Rooney
13. "Smiling is definitely one of the best beauty remedies. If you have a good sense of humor and a good approach to life, that's beautiful." — Rashida Jones
14. "Always keep your smile. That's how I explain my long life." — Jeanne Calment
15. "Smile in the mirror. Do that every morning and you'll start to see a big difference in your life." — Yoko Ono
Images: Getty Images (3)