If you're anything like me, then breakfast, lunch, and dinner are the highlights of your day... every day. To help celebrate World Food Day this October 16, I've rounded up 14 food quotes that rejoice in the wonderfulness that is food. No matter what your favorite cuisine is, there's no getting away from the fact that nourishing your body tastes as good as it feels.
Now, while I could go on and on about how much I love the activity of eating, World Food Day also brings another important point to mind, and that is world hunger. Some 795 million people in the world don't have access to enough food to live a healthy and active life. To put that into perspective, that's one out of every nine people on this planet. So what can we all do to help?
There are dozens of world hunger charities that you can donate to, and if your wallet is feeling especially thin at the moment, even the simple act of spreading the word can be of great importance. Knowledge is power, and the more people know about the world hunger crisis, the more those who are in a position to help will likely take action.
In the meantime, be thankful for what you have, especially in regards to a full fridge and working kitchen. Food is key, and as these authors point out, it helps one live life to the fullest both physically and mentally.
1. "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." — Virginia Woolf
2. "Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." — Mark Twain
3. "There is no sincerer love than the love of food." — George Bernard Shaw
4. "Eating is not merely a material pleasure. Eating well gives a spectacular joy to life and contributes immensely to goodwill and happy companionship. It is of great importance to the morale." — Elsa Schiaparelli
5. "There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." — Kevin James
6. "Eating is so intimate. It's very sensual. When you invite someone to sit at your table and you want to cook for them, you're inviting a person into your life." — Maya Angelou
7. "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are." — Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
8. "I don't like food that's too carefully arranged; it makes me think that the chef is spending too much time arranging and not enough time cooking. If I wanted a picture I'd buy a painting." — Andy Rooney
9. "Food is our common ground, a universal experience." — James Beard
10. "What I've enjoyed most, though, is meeting people who have a real interest in food and sharing ideas with them. Good food is a global thing and I find that there is always something new and amazing to learn — I love it!" — Jamie Oliver
11. "When I eat with my friends, it is a moment of real pleasure, when I really enjoy my life." — Monica Bellucci
12. "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." — Erma Bombeck
13. "I like food. I like eating. And I don't want to deprive myself of good food." — Sarah Michelle Gellar
14. "Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It's about honesty. It's about identity." — Louise Fresco
Images: Kerin Forstmanis / EyeEm/EyeEm/Getty Images; Giphy