How will you be spending your Sweetest Day? If you don't have any plans in the works yet, these 12 Sweetest Day quotes might help change your perspective on the semi-acknowledged holiday. While Sweetest Day is more traditionally celebrated by doing something "sweet" for your sweetheart, that doesn't have to be the only interpretation of it. Instead, why not do something kind for a friend, family member, or even stranger?
People say that money makes the world go round, but I'd like to argue that it's love that makes the world go round. What good is all the cash, gold, and silver in the world if you have nobody to share it with? And I'm not just talking about significant others. So many holidays are dedicated to spouses, partners, and dating relationships, but what about your friends and family? Don't they deserve a little something special too?
These 12 Sweetest Day-inspired quotes highlight the importance of love and kindness, and I hope that they motivate you to think of all your loved ones come this Oct. 15. Sometimes the smallest gesture can have the biggest impact on someone, and we all need to know that we're loved from time to time.
1. "You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you." — John Wooden
2. "In about the same degree as you are helpful, you will be happy." — Karl Reiland
3. "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." — Leo Buscaglia
4. "The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit." — Nelson Henderson
5. "I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." — William Penn
6. "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. "Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day." — P.S. I Love You
8. "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little — do what you can." — Sydney Smith
9. "A good character is the best tombstone. Those who loved you and were helped by you will remember you when forget-me-nots have withered. Carve your name on hearts, not on marble." — Charles H. Spurgeon
10. "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." — Dalai Lama
11. "Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness." — Seneca
12. "I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back." — Maya Angelou