Most human beings have experienced stress in some way or form. This is why it's so important to be aware of stress, and its potentially serious effects — and there's no better time to do that then on National Stress Awareness Day, which falls on Nov. 2. It's on this particular day that these 12 quotes about dealing with stress are worth a close read, because, as we all know, adulting is hard and stress is the worst.
According to Mayo Clinic, copious amounts of stress can wreak havoc on your body. That's right, it's not all just a mind game. From headaches and chest pain to muscle tension and upset stomachs, stress can affect your entire body. And, as anyone who has dealt with severe stress knows, sleep can become difficult, anxiety can build up, and irritability can surge.
So, how do we battle stress? There are dozens of options, including seeing a therapist, cutting back on your responsibilities if they're too much to handle, and learning to control your mind. Self care, basically. Everyone deals with stress differently, but as these quotes point out, there's one thing that continues to unify all in regards to it: we're here to support one another. Get some anti-stress inspiration below, and then give yourself a quick mental check-up... are you in need of some serious relaxation? Now's as good a time as any to do something about that.
1. “Rule number one is, don’t sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it’s all small stuff." — Robert Eliot
2. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” — William James
3. “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.” — John Newton
4. “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” — Benjamin Franklin
5. “If you treat every situation as a life and death matter, you’ll die a lot of times.” — Dean Smith
6. “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” — John Lubbock
7. “Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” — Ovid
8. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” — Sydney J. Harris
9. “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.” — Viggo Mortensen
10. “A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety. “ — Aesop
11. “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.” — Winston Churchill
12. “Its not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it.” — Hans Selye
Images: SilviaJansen/E+/Getty Images; Giphy