In need of a little inspiration this holiday season? Well November 24th couldn't come any more quickly, and these 11 inspiring Thanksgiving Day quotes are exactly why. Sure, the food is a highlight for most of us come Thanksgiving Day, but there's actually quite a bit of inspiration and motivation weaved into the holiday's lining as well. Break "Thanksgiving" apart, and what do you have? "Thanks" and "giving"... and I don't know two words that could provide more love to this world than those.
I've rounded up a wise bunch of authors below (yup, Oprah Winfrey's in there!), and the stuff that they all have to say is among the most I have heard all year. With the 2016 election results creating a huge divide in this nation, is there ever a time that calls for more giving and thanking than now? The country may not agree on the character of the president-elect, but that doesn't have to stop us all from loving each other (yes, you can definitely disagree with somebody and still love them). I'm hoping that this Thanksgiving we can all find a little good in each other and work hard to grow it. Fortunately, these 11 quotes are here to help provide some inspiration for that challenge.
1. "Thanksgiving Day is a good day to recommit our energies to giving thanks and just giving." — Amy Grant
2. "To give thanks in solitude is enough. Thanksgiving has wings and goes where it must go. Your prayer knows much more about it than you do." — Victor Hugo
3. "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough." — Oprah Winfrey
4. "If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share." — W. Clement Stone
5. "I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual." — Henry David Thoreau
6. "Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse." — Henry Van Dyke
7. "I absolutely adore Thanksgiving. It's the only holiday I insist on making myself." — Ina Garten
8. "What I love about Thanksgiving is that it's purely about getting together with friends or family and enjoying food. It's really for everybody, and it doesn't matter where you're from." — Daniel Humm
9. "When I was about nine years old, I announced to my mother that I was going to cook Thanksgiving dinner. And I went to the library and got this whole pile of books. I'd love to say it all turned out great. It didn't. But, sort of, from that point on, whenever there was serious cooking at home, I was the one who did it." — Nathan Myhrvold
10. "I've been giving back since I was a teen, handing out turkeys at Thanksgiving and handing out toys at toys drives for Christmas. It's very important to give back as a youth. It's as simple as helping an old lady across the street or giving up your seat on the bus for someone who is pregnant." — Queen Latifah
11. "Pride slays thanksgiving, but a humble mind is the soil out of which thanks naturally grow. A proud man is seldom a grateful man, for he never thinks he gets as much as he deserves." — Henry Ward Beecher