Instagram Adds 10 Nifty New Creative Tools, So Break Out Those #Latergrams
As if Instagram hasn't done enough to fuel our photography obsessions and feed our artistic egos, now we're all going to fancy ourselves the next Diane Arbus. That is, if Diane Arbus took pictures of poached eggs and long nights at Marquee. Instagram just announced a 10 new creative tools that will up your filter game. Gone are the days of choosing between Valencia and Nashville — God, how primitive.
Instagram's 10 new tools allow users to make new adjustments on top of choosing a filter, like tweaking the picture's contrast, saturation, and brightness. Additionally, a new slide bar allows them to adjust the intensity of a filter — because we all know how tacky X-Pro II can be. And sometimes Sierra just falls a little short.
A prototype of the slide bar was introduced in the app's Lux tool back in March, but now it can be applied to a number of editing features, giving the user more control over the final
"All of us [at Instagram] are kind of photo geeks, but we're trying to bridge the gap between being a photo geek and the rest of the world," Peter Deng, director of product at Instagram, told Mashable. "Instagram's always been about taking these tools that were previously inaccessible ... and making them accessible for free for everyone that uses Instagram."
In Instagram's announcement of the new tools, the company makes it clear that these new features come from user requests, which they continue to welcome. Deng hinted that more tools were in progress and would be introduced soon. In the meantime, the 10 new tools are available now for iOS and Android users.
A breakdown of all 10 tools and their specific functions.
- Filter strength: This tool adjusts the strength of whatever filter you apply to the photo.
- Adjust: This allows you to crop and straighten the photo at the same time.
- Brightness: Makes your photo brighter or darker.
- Contrast: Makes the lighter areas of your photo brighter and the darker areas darker.
- Warmth: Adjusts the colors of your photo toward warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Saturation: Increases or decreases the overall intensity of the photo's colors.
- Highlights: Adjusts the focus on the photo's bright areas.
- Shadows: Adjusts the focus on the photo's dark areas.
- Vignette: Darkens the edges of a photo to direct the attention away from the edges and towards the center of the photo.
- Sharpen: Adds crispness to the photo for a clearer picture.
Images: Mashable/ Instagram