Anthony Weiner's campaign manager, Danny Kedem, has quit his post as campaign manager, with the primary only six weeks away.
The 31-year-old operative, who's been working with Weiner since the spring, decided to part ways with the mayoral candidate Saturday, the New York Times reports. Although it's still not clear whether Kedem knew about Weiner's latest sexting scandals before TheDirty.com revealed them last week, it seems like, either way, he's no longer interested in being part of what's looking like a doomed campaign.
It's a major turnaround for the manager, who only a few weeks ago sent round an email saying, "I am really proud to work for Anthony."
The resignation might have something to do with recent reports that the 2011 Weiner campaign paid a team nearly $45,000 to investigate who'd "hacked" the candidate's Twitter account to send the explicit photos...that Weiner himself had sent. Really.
“It’s just another lie he told people. He knew all along who did it,” said director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
On Thursday, the mayoral hopeful admitted that he'd continued sending dirty texts and pictures to three girls after he'd been forced to resign from Congress for doing exactly that.
In spite of this, though, Weiner remains determined to see his candidacy through.
"I'm going to be a successful mayor because of it, because it's going to give me a level of independence," he said, after learning of his manager's resignation. "I'm not constructing a campaign around the approval of my peers. I'm constructing a campaign around the aspirations of my neighbors."
"You're stuck with me," he added. Aren't we lucky?