Celebrate 8 Years of Twitter With the Top 15 Most Baffling Deleted Celebrity Tweets
Eight years ago, a new microblogging site called Twitter was made public to the world. No one knew what to make of this "Twi-tter," but we pawed at it anyhow, like monkeys at a monolith, or children playing before a statue of Hercules, none of us knowing just how deeply and irrevocably our lives would change in only 140 characters or less. Since then, Twitter has changed the way we receive news, interact with one another, think about entertainment, and, of course, publicly shame our politicians and celebrities.
When you give someone a massive, uncensored platform for their thoughts, a phone from which to communicate whatever drunk fancy passes through their head, and millions of people to scrutinize their every word, you have to expect that, at some point, they're going to say something pretty dumb. All of us do (seriously, take a look at your text history from this weekend), but most of us don't have an obscene amount of fans and followers attempting to decipher the emojis we drunkenly texted to our best friends.
For celebrities, Twitter is a powerful and dangerous weapon. But because we are human and therefore have a never-ending reserve of schadenfreude, the more inane or indecipherable a celebrity tweet is, the more we love it.
And because it's the Internet, even if they try to delete it, we will always find a way to get a hold of the tweets they sent.
Here are 15 of the best/worst/dumbest/most baffling deleted celebrity tweets of all time.
1. "How Can Mirrors Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real" —Jaden Smith (@OfficialJaden)
2. "Why is it that people always try to understand estimate my intelligents? They should never do that!" —Mary J. Blige (@maryjblige)
3. "is in Turkey"—50 Cent (@50cent)
4. "I'm fucked up! Ohhh damn. Y i drive the lambo. Chris might have to drive after next spot" —Bow Wow (@bowwow614)
5. "I respect your criticism, but be fair. People enjoyed last night! I'm guessing you're gay? And my masculinity offended you? Well, fuck you!" —Cee Lo Green (@ceelogreen)
6. "wish def jam would work harder on my project labels are shady" —Justin Bieber (@justinbieber)
7. "After all that time of keeping me your dirty little secret.. You finally admit it" —Kylie Jenner (@kyliejenner)
8. "@billyraycyrus since you won't reply to my texts I'm giving you an hour to tell the truth or ill tell it for you" —Miley Cyrus (@MileyCyrus)
9. "just had our anal performance!" —Niall Horan (@niallofficial), who later tweeted the correction: he meant "final".
10. "everyone call me at xxx-xxxx or text" —Justin Bieber (@justinbieber)
11. "Someone wrote that my wife was tweeting at a funeral. Hey. That's not true. But I'm gonna tweet at your funeral." —Alec Baldwin (@abfoundation)
12. "@lanadelrey so umm next time you sing it, think about my vagina will you? lol xc" —Courtney Love (@courtney)
13. "Not afraid to write a tell-all book and share my side of every story. Had enough of all these rumors, hollywood brats, and shady hanger-oners" —Demi Lovato (@ddlovato)
14. "YOU CAN'T PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES. YOUR FACE LOOKS CRAZY ... IS THAT FUNNY? .... OR IF I HAD A KID SAY IT WOULD IT BE FUNNY???" —Kanye West (@kanyewest)
15. "Woah I just had a strange (sexy) Karl Lagerfeld dream. I don't want to talk about it." —Alexa Chung (@alexa_chung)
Images: Giphy (15)