Yes, it’s almost here. New Year's Eve, that is. Time to reflect on the past 12 months, break out that new notebook, and look forward to 2015 with a new perspective — so let these New Year quotes inspire you. The new year is the perfect time to think, plan, dream, and motivate yourself to accomplish things you may have never thought possible. You might even make a few resolutions (and promise to follow through with them this year!).
Sometimes, though, all the hoopla surrounding New Year's can make you feel just the slightest bit uneasy. Maybe you’re a little critical about mistakes you might have made in 2014. Or maybe you’re contemplating a big change, and aren’t quite sure which of your choices is the best.
Whether you’re looking for encouragement or feeling anxious about the year to come, these quotes will have you feeling perfectly excited for the new year. From poets to psychologists to Oprah, (seriously, what can’t that woman do?), the following people have lived through quite a few New Year celebrations — and actually lived to tell the tale — so they know exactly what to say (or write) to make you feel enthusiastic about ’15. So pour yourself a glass of champagne (don’t let the fact that it’s still December stop you), and get ready to feel inspired!
1. “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.” — Brad Paisley
2. "For last year's words belong to last year's language, and next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning..." — T.S. Eliot
3. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” ― Lao Tzu
4. “Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come." — Melody Beattie
5. "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. "Let our New Year's resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word." — Goran Persson
7. "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." — Oprah Winfrey
8. “We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise, we harden.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
9. “For a new year to bring you something new, make a move, like a butterfly tearing its cocoon! Make a move!” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
10. "Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering 'it will be happier'..." — Alfred Tennyson
11. “Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be.” — George Sheehan
12. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” — C.S. Lewis
13. "Some people swear there's no beauty left in the world, no magic. Then how do you explain the entire world coming together on one night to celebrate the hope of a new year?" — Claire Morgan
14. “The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.” — G.K. Chesterton
15. “Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day.” — Michael Josephson
16. “A cat’s New Year dream is mostly a bird! Don’t be like a cat; in New Year, dream something that you have never dreamed! Target for new things!” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
17. "May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions!" — Joey Adams
18. "I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something." — Neil Gaiman
19. "Here’s to the bright New Year, and a fond farewell to the old; here’s to the things that are yet to come, and to the memories that we hold." — Unknown