Bill Cosby's Lawyer Releases New Statement to Clarify Cosby's "Black Media" Comments

After Bill Cosby made comments to a New York Post reporter last week about wanting the "black media" on his side in light of the recent numerous rape allegations made against him, Bill Cosby's lawyer has released a new statement to the media in an effort to clarify the comments and address "mean-spirited" commentary he alleges his client is receiving from media personalities. The new statement was released to NBC News on Thursday.

Though Cosby has remained fairly mum about the horrifying rape allegations made against him in recent months, he has spoken to the press on a few occasions — once, notably, to Florida Today three weeks ago on why he hasn't spoken out — and he did so again last week when Stacy Brown of the New York Post called him about the allegations. After Brown identified himself as a writer who often contributes to "the African-American media" in his career, Cosby reportedly said the following: "Let me say this: I only expect the black media to uphold the standards of excellence in journalism and when you do that, you have to go in with a neutral mind."

Considering that, obviously, no accused criminal should be given preferential treatment because of race, this was a strange statement for the comedian to make. Now, Cosby's lawyer John P. Schmitt has released a statement to clarify his client's comment, saying his client's words "continue to be misconstrued in a way that can only call into question the fair-mindedness of certain commentators. He said:

As previously noted, Mr. Brown identified himself to Mr. Cosby as a freelance reporter for a number of African-American media [...] To be clear, Mr. Cosby did not ask for special treatment from the African-American media. To the contrary, he asked that they adhere to journalistic standards and approach the story in a neutral manner — without a predisposition on either side of the story. It is of course what we would expect of all media.

This statement comes in addition to previous statements that Cosby's lawyer has released asserting his client's innocence in the months since the rape allegations surfaced:

Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.

Since the New York Post interview, Cosby himself has released no further statements.