The 320,000 Pounds Of Meat Texas Just Recalled Had Been Delivered To An Entire Public School District
Residents of the Lone Star State should watch what they eat. Three Texas food companies recalled 320,000 pounds of meat products, some of which were delivered to an entire public school district where more than 56,000 students are enrolled. The products were taken off shelves because of misbranding and not declaring that they may contain life-threatening peanut allergens. If you're allergic to nuts and are a fan of Tex Mex, be sure to check the list of recalled items to see if you might have purchased any of the questionable products.
The USDA has confirmed a voluntary and precautionary recall of meat products from three companies, J&B Sausage Co., H-E-B Meat Center, and Garcia Foods. Four of the recalled products had been shipped to Garland Independent School District, the fourth-largest school district in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. With roughly 80 schools and more than 56,000 students, the majority of which are in elementary school, that's a lot of potential peanut allergies to worry about.
Luckily, the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service, as well as the three companies, have not received of any reports of illnesses linked to consuming these products. J&B Sausage Co., H-E-B Meat Center, and Garcia Foods have all issued statements informing the public about the recall and listing which items were affected. Customers who purchased the recalled items can return them for a full refund. If you're not sure whether you're in possession of possibly life-threatening meat, here are all the products broken down by each company.
J&B Sausage Co., 46,000 Pounds
- 5-pound packages of fully cooked Chefs-In-A-Bag Chicken Taco Filling.
- 1-pound packages of H-E-B Fully Cooked Texas Style Beef Chili No Beans.
- 1-pound packages of H-E-B Fully Cooked Taqueria Style Picadillo Seasoned Ground Beef with Potatoes, Onion, Tomatoes and Peppers.
- 1-pound packages of H-E-B Fully Cooked Carne Guisada Seasoned Beef in Gravy.
For questions or concerns regarding J&B products, call Bonnie Hyman, Risk Management, at 830-203-9002.
H-E-B Meat Center, 83,000 Pounds
- Random-weight, vacuum-packed, clear packages containing Pork Chorizo.
- Random-weight, clear, covered trays containing H-E-B Mi Comida Chorizo Pork Chorizo.
- Random-weight, vacuum-packed, clear packages containing Seasoned Mexican Styke Pork For Carne Al Pastor.
For questions or concerns regarding H-E-B products, call 210-938-8357 or 800-432-3113. The customer service phone lines will be open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Garcia Foods, 190,000 Pounds
- 12-ounce vacuum-packed raw pork sausage link pieces of Hill Country Fare Chorizo.
- 8-ounce vacuum-packed raw pork sausage chubs of Hill Country Fare Chorizo.
For questions or concerns regarding Garcia products, call Pete Santos, SQF Practitioner, at 210-349-6262, Ext. 224.
Images: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images, Ethan Miller/Getty Images, Paopano/Fotolia, Sean Gallup/Getty Images